D&D 5E inspiration, FATE like compels and trends

Started by Callan S., July 19, 2014, 10:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callan S.

Lookin' at the general trends in design at first - the fifth edition of D&D (basic version here, from the wizards site) contains this:

QuoteInspiration

Inspiration is a rule the Dungeon Master can use to
reward you for playing your character in a way that's
true to his or her personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw.
By using inspiration, you can draw on your personality
trait of compassion for the downtrodden to give you
an edge in negotiating with the Beggar Prince. Or
inspiration can let you call on your bond to the defense
of your home village to push past the effect of a spell
that has been laid on you.

Gaining Inspiration

Your DM can choose to give you inspiration for a variety
of reasons. Typically, DMs award it when you play
out your personality traits, give in to the drawbacks
presented by a flaw or bond, and otherwise portray your
character in a compelling way. Your DM will tell you
how you can earn inspiration in the game.
You either have inspiration or you don't—you can't
stockpile multiple "inspirations" for later use.

Using Inspiration

If you have inspiration, you can expend it when you make
an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. Spending
your inspiration gives you advantage on that roll.

The recent thread that partly discussed fate and compels made me interested in raising this mechanic that was seemingly inspired by FATE (take pun damage...)

Once again the structure is the GM has to grant it to you. Perhaps tying into the critique in the fate thread (side note: which was really primarily a Ehdrigohr thread, so forgive my shift of focus).

To me it's an interesting question of player control at the table.

Okay, my hypothesis involves the fact that in riddle of steel the text doesn't actually say who determines when you get a spiritual attribute point. Procedurally, it's absent.

One invented form of procedure is that we somehow just treat the players like adults and they decide when they get their own SA. But we don't go and actually say this because OMG hardcore gamist spammers trolololol! It's as if were all carrying something on our shoulders but if you give anyone the chance, they'll dart away and leave everyone else to the listing result, ala some kind of Atlas dealio, and as if no one can commit to supporting the whole fiction thing even when capable of walking away. Ironically all the sorts of fears that newbies to roleplay absolutely do not have and will readily hand over such 'power'.

Finally the basically kind of a fact that if a GM can control when something is handed out, then they can also essentially cede their control to players (perhaps no written text on the matter, but generally an SC understanding). So it can mutate easily to the player controlled form.

In terms of trends it'll be interesting to see how much of D&D 5E play mutates to this form, or mutates back and forth as mutual trust forming and post traumatic early teen flash backs conflict with each other.

Other than that I'm just assuming I'm seeing a trend and thought it might be worth pointing out in case it is one.

Final note: 'Advantage' means rolling two D20's and taking the highest - it's like a +5 bonus. So it's not like a +1 bonus which pretty much is worthless - this is a significant mechanical effect (never mind when a rogue combines it with sneak attack and other class combos!)

Marv

Well, I think that a game designer would be stupid not to look around to see what sorts of things other designers have done, so there is no surprise to me that 5E would bring in some of the "story game" elements from FATE or other RPGs of that style. I think it's a good sign.

In other words, if Gygax and Arneson were to invent D&D today, it would't be the same D&D as it was in 1974.