[Circle of Hands] Famberge, a Church in the Woods?

Started by Moreno R., October 13, 2015, 05:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreno R.

Hi Ron!

I was looking at the maps in the game manual, to see if something was usable with my rolled component (Rbaja interference only) when I realized that the "church in the woods" at page 59 was in apparent contradiction with the chapter I had just re-read about the religious customs of the Iron Folks. From my reading of that chapter there are no "churches" in the sense of a big stone building in a cross shape with a full time priest, and Amboryon Wizards have no use for churches either.

So, why the cross-shaped stone church in the woods of Famberge? I misread the religion chapter jumping to a mistaken conclusion?

Ron Edwards

I don't really know how to respond to a query which all but states outright that I've made a mistake.

The imagery in my mind for Famberge includes such structures. I am historically educated enough to know that this is a bit mysterious. But I trust you or any reader will understand that nothing about crosses, Christianity, or medieval content is implied by them. You don't have to assume stained-glass windows or Nativity scenes in there. The people in Famberge build such structures, that's all.

Or rather, it's all considering the absence of a supplement which dives into the religious and cultural nuances of each subregion.

Moreno R.

Hi Ron!

You are reading an hostility in my questions that isn't there.

I did not think for a second that you had totally forgot what you wrote about Famberge for the entire time that it took the book from draft to print, and never noticed in all that time that you had commissioned a map with something that wasn't there. It's clear that you had an intent. I was asking about that intent.

In other words (and just making up some examples of the possible answers) maybe you wanted to hint to something in Famberge that doesn't align with the general description of the Crescent Land, leaving the GM to built on it if interested. Or you simply wanted to show, with an example, that you can use "strange" maps for the game, that it's not an issue. Or I could have simply misread the description (that is ALWAYS a possibility any reader should leave open)

In particular, my principal doubt was about that last possibility: I wanted to be certain that I didn't misread or misunderstand the description of the religion of the priest or the practices of Amboryon Wizards.

Seeing that you confirmed that such structures, even if them are indeed part of the land, are "mysterious" (at least as far as we know at the start of play), I have my answer and this leave me free to use, abuse or ignore said structures as I wish (as anything else on the setting described in the manual)