Spectrum between Task and Conflict Resolution

Started by RosenMcStern, September 04, 2012, 07:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hi,

I think one of the biggest problems in this discussion, and has been from the beginning, is that we should specify what we're talking about. The word "resolution" doesn't seem to focus the reader's attention enough. It seems to range all over the map from what I'd prefer to call "contribution" of any kind, to the most focused detail of in-fiction events like how much a bit of armor is dented.

Therefore, Stephan,* I have decided that it's better to answer in terms of a given game, or a group of games that are very much alike. Trying to talk about conflict/task as a blanket concept is getting out of hand because all sorts of dials concerning scale and IIEE are spinning at once.

That said, I think your articulated descriptions aren't working very well (I can't do better for my own reading than my "once more for Jesus" and clarifications to Eero), but I think your hobgoblin examples are absolutely spot on.

Raven, I want to acknowledge your post for really helping me understand why the blanket-concept descriptions weren't working.

Paolo, it was nice to meet you at Lucca, and although we didn't get a chance to talk about task/conflict - or better yet, play something together - our conversation did help me.

Best, Ron

* Forgive me if I've screwed up your name again, because I am exhausted in a variety of ways