News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Holidays

Started by Vaxalon, November 24, 2005, 09:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

Yes, yes, it's my game and I can have holidays if I want to...

But if I had a mind to retain "authenticity" then what would the Faith's view be of such things as Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's?

It would seem to me that a strict church would declare that "holidays" tend to create an atmosphere where people discard the Faith the rest of the year, and only hang on to the holidays... similar to how the Jehovah's Witnesses look at them.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

oliof

Well,
there are the holidays set forth by the Ancients and the Prophets of the Faith, which (possibly) do come from the Book of Life, and what's to be done on these holidays is also part of Scripture.

Now, Unbelievers could think there are other ways to do holidays. I sense conflict somewhere in here....

fmac

For real world stuff, check out . . .

http://www.mormon.org/learn/0,8672,1577-1,00.html
http://www.mormonbeliefs.com/mormon_holy_days_&_holidays.htm

In game? You could easily make a town or two about holidays and let the Dogs sort out what appropriate celebration is.

Is it a sin to dance on Thanksgiving? To work on the Sabbath? And what exactly do you do with the guy who's preaching that Christmas is a pagan tradition that should be outlawed?

Vaxalon

Wow, thanks fmac.  Very useful links, there.  VERY useful.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

lumpley

Something, some ... thing, some urge, compels me to point out that the second link, to mormonbeliefs.com, is - awesomely - a Strangite site, not a mainstream LDS site.

After Joseph Smith's murder, there was a three-way split in the faith. The majority backed Brigham Young as J.S.'s rightful successor, but a minority backed Joseph Smith III - 11 years old at the time - and another minority backed James J. Strang. Brigham Young's people went west and landed finally in Utah; the Reformites and the Strangites both stayed back east - the Reformites in Missouri, the Strangites in Wisconsin.

-Vincent

Vaxalon

That's a very useful bit of information, Vincent, given how widely those two sites diverge.

It also begs town ideas.  My mind is awhirl...
                                     --Vincent Baker