News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Carry] Revision 2 Complete. Readers, Artists & Playtesters Wanted.

Started by Nathan P., January 29, 2006, 08:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan P.

I finished the latest revision of Carry, my soldiers-dealing-with-issues Vietnam game. You can download the zip file here. There's also this AP thread, which was very useful to me, and is worth reading to get an idea of the game. The changes from 1.2 (the version discussed in that thread) and version 2:

* Formalized Burden Creation to include feedback from Dreamation: three sentences that gestalt into your Burden, discussion of lines and military experience.
* Decided that there will be 3×5 cards for easy Grunt choosing and reference.
* Moved all of chargen into one section, with the Squad section just being for reference.
* Explicated that dice are chosen in ascending Months In order. Added some guidance as towards choosing initial dice pools.
* Reworked and expanded Profile descriptions, including their best and worst Approach.
* Added rule that the GM can bring in a Burden die on a Fodders side if the Grunt rolls theirs. There's a strong possibility that each character writeup will include a "Fodder Burden" entry, which is that characters Burden if they are not taken by a player.
* Added rule that you can roll your Burden Die even if you can't use anything in your dice pool because of your Profile/Approach.
* Cleaned up Squad Scene conflict resolution rules (IIEE stuff, mainly).
* Added that you must change Approach when pushing a conflict.
* Added some stuff to how and why you should give people dice after rolling, as well as a tip about keeping multiple dice collections separate.
* Added some explication as to how Action resolution works, and why you would choose to give to one or the other.
* Added rules for establishing Backstory on the fly during play (thanks Rob!).
* Reworked Endgame. It should be better now.
* General editing, rewording and clarification.
* Updated all examples.

At this point, the game needs to see some full cycles of play. The file linked above contains the rules document, the squad one-sheet and a profile-wheel graphic for printing. So, I am looking for:

Playtesters: The game is designed to play, start to finish, in between 2 and 3 hours. If anyone could take a game night to play through, take some notes and give me some feedback, that would be awesome. If you're interested in the game but can't or don't want to actually play, thats cool, because I'm also looking for:

Readers to read the text and give feedback on that. It's pretty short, and I'm totally willing to do a reading trade (I'll read yours if you read mine), if you're working on a project. Finally, I also want:

An Artist that is interested in either cover art, line art portraits, or both. I have some ideas for general theme/look of the cover, but there's a lot of leeway for interpretation and style. There's also 16 1/8th page portraits of soldiers faces that I would like to have happen. If you're interested, PM me and we'll talk specifics.

Any questions, post here or PM me. Thanks!
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

joepub

This link isn`t working for me.

I`m at school, where administrators have blocked several functions... so that might be it...

does it work for others?

Nathan P.

Double-checked, and it should be working. If anyone is having a problem, drop me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you it in an attachment. Its <1 MB, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters