News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Kingdom question.

Started by Levi Kornelsen, August 02, 2006, 06:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levi Kornelsen

I've got a LOT of nieces, nephews, and cousins.   Many are of around the target age for this game.

My extended family is very, very Christian, and *will* read anything I give them first, to determine suitability.

What, if anything, are we loking at here that might tweak their sensibilities?

Clinton R. Nixon

Levi,

This is a really good question. I've got a very Christian family, too. I'm scanning through the book now.

* There can be magic. I don't know if that's a problem for your guys.

* Girls can take on boy roles, although it's presented as not the norm.

* Kids are put in some serious situations, including war.

* There's a bit of collectivism in the book's core ethos.

None of those are too big or bad, but I know at least one Christian that could have a problem with any of them. Here's the big one:

* There is no acknowledgement of a higher power.

That might be good! I know having "Oltar, God of Hedonism" will turn more people off than perhaps no gods. The no higher power thing, though, is way more subversive. It wasn't intentional, but I just didn't think about it in design.

Now, here's the best and worse part: the proceeds from the game go to a Christian charity. That might be great! It's not your average Christian charity, though - it's the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker-run charity. (In fact, I wouldn't call it a Christian charity, as it doesn't work to spread religious beliefs, but secular goals. It's a Christian-run charity.) Depending on your bent, you might have a problem with the Quakers. I dunno. The charity promotes nonviolence and relief.

Anyone else who's read the game, please feel free to speak up!
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Levi Kornelsen

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on August 02, 2006, 07:09:44 PMDepending on your bent, you might have a problem with the Quakers. I dunno. The charity promotes nonviolence and relief.

*Snerk*

I'm Buddhist, myself; and the Quakers rock.  But I'm kind of black-sheepy, for that reason, so my gifts to the kids get special scrutiny.  Hence the issue.

...Overall, at least thus far, sounds like something I could get through the gate.  Hmm...

Sold.

Expect a preorder from me later on - and, unless I miss my guess, don't you dare run out of copies in December.