Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 26, 2019, 02:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 158 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [The Infected] Anger Management  (Read 3648 times)
MikeSands

« on: October 15, 2007, 01:49:26 AM »

Steve Segedy

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:01 AM »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for writing this up.   The story sounds like fun, and it's great that it ended in a wedding!

I can see your point about the "spotlight" token- in our last playtest (using the v2 rules) the game would've probably run more smoothly if the GM had framed each scene, with input from the players.   As it was, the pacing was a bit uneven, and the players had a hard time introducing the infection into their scenes (I used the "GM's character" option for generating the infection, so they didn't really know what it was).

The Shab-al-Hiri Roach and Grey Ranks, available now at IPR!
Eric Provost

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:49:15 AM »

Hiya Mike,

I'm really glad to hear that you liked most of the changes to the v2 rules.  I guess I'm not terribly surprised at this point to hear that the rotating scene-framing thing didn't work out for you.  It hasn't worked out for anyone so far.  I'll be fixing that.  I'll also be working on a better framework and guideline for players and their motivations and for GMs and the monsters.  You can probably expect to see v2.1 in a week or so.

As I said above, I don't like the scene framing token. However, I like the idea that it is instead a 'who gets infected' token. Just have the players pass it around every time the scene ends or someone gains an infected dice. That gives the whole feeling of doom, but I think in the zombie-film style it helps to have the GM responsible for all the scene framing.

I think that's exactly what I'll do with it.

MikeSands

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 10:25:34 AM »

When a PC goes desperate or crazed then everyone re-rolls their dice.  All of their dice.  None of the dice get left as-is.

I just checked, and the rules do state that - I just forgot during the game. Oh well.

The other changes you mention sound good too.

There was still a bit of an issue with players working towards their goals. I think in some ways the need to frame a scene distracted from coming up with ways to advance the goal. Still, tokens were gained and attempts were made at the goals, although only one succeeded. The two monster PCs both tried after they got turned, so it isn't surprising that they failed. The last attempt was defeated due to my misreading the re-roll rules, which is a bit sad. On the other hand, the player took his failure and made a good third reel out of it, so no real harm was done.

Eric Provost

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:49:36 AM »

I think in some ways the need to frame a scene distracted from coming up with ways to advance the goal.

I'm not sure what to make of this.  It seems crazy-backwards to me.  The authority & responsibility to frame scenes was intended as a tool for the players to shoot right for their goals. 

If you can, would you possibly elaborate on how the scene framing responsiblity got in the way of goals? 

MikeSands

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:25:34 AM »

It's because everyone wanted to advance the story about the zombies at the same time. So, we'd finish one scene and (for example) they were driving towards some particular spot, and the next person to have a turn would have to balance any ideas they had against where we left the group. Sometimes that worked fine (like 'we drive up to my girlfriend's place that's just out of town') but other times it left people flat, even if they had an idea about what they would like to try next.

The problem was that tension between 'what my character wants' and 'where the story should go next' (or would go if it were a movie). That led to some problems coming up with scenes in a few cases, and in some others seemed to mess up the pacing a little.

My feeling is that if the GM has the sole responsibility to frame scenes, then that pressure to keep the story going and the tension building up is no longer something the other players have to worry about. They would, however, need to have the authority to add things to the scene that help them with their goals and encouragement to request scenes from the GM if they wanted a particular one.

Steve Segedy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »

Perhaps it would help to adopt something like the scene mechanic from Grey Ranks, where each player has both a Mission scene and a Personal scene.  That way you can drive the overall infection plot while at the same time having individual moments for players to explore their characters and move toward their goals. 

In such a case, you'd obviously want to modify the mechanic to accommodate the GM role.  Maybe the GM frames "infection" scenes and players frame character "development" scenes (for lack of a better term), which might be flashbacks, asides, or otherwise more personal moments in the story.  Also, there's no reason why both scene types couldn't be used to pursue goals, if appropriate.

The Shab-al-Hiri Roach and Grey Ranks, available now at IPR!
MikeSands

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »

I don't think that explicitly setting scene types would help. It seems like it would also distract focus, especially as the rules are now very smooth.

If you want to keep the player scene framing, maybe the way to go is alternate GM/player scenes (with each player taking turns). Personally, I still think that having the GM frame everything with plenty of player input (scene requests, adding elements) will do the trick.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: