Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2020, 10:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Last(?) Combat Question  (Read 6749 times)
Supplanter

« on: September 02, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »

The combat section in HB Sorc is much clearer than the old text. I think I'm just about there. One last thing I wonder: The rules seem to suggest that there are circumstances in which my victories this round count as damage this round and bonuses next round. Is that true always, sometimes or never?

Also, I was rereading the pdf &Sword. It talks about saving up victories to cancel out "non-victory dice (yours or your opponent's)," and that this is a way to get some Total Victories going. I completely see how cancelling out non-victory dice of your opponent can be useful. I don't understand the concept and use of cancelling out your own non-victory dice.

Best,

Jim

Unqualified Offerings - Looking Sideways at Your World
20' x 20' Room - Because Roleplaying Games Are Interesting
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »

Supplanter

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »

Unqualified Offerings - Looking Sideways at Your World
20' x 20' Room - Because Roleplaying Games Are Interesting
hardcoremoose
Acts of Evil Playtesters

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2001, 05:36:00 PM »

Not having actually purchased Sorcerer & Sword  (please, let's keep the heckling down in front), this is the first I've heard of the cancellation rules.  I agree with Jim - it's a damn cool mechanic that I wish I had known about before.  And like Jim, I immediately thought of the intrinsic narrative potential underlying it, as opposed to the strategic/gamist quality it could potentially provide.  

Very cool stuff.

Take care,
Scott    
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »

Scott and everyone,

The cancellation-victory rules in Sorcerer & Sword are extremely dangerous, and I suggest using them only in games in which combat is central to conflict resolution and strongly linked to emotional/thematic content. The uncertainty and fear that arises from regular Sorcerer combat can become more of a mow'em-down situation if the cancelling rules are applied freely.

I suggest thinking in terms of all the character's features - are Cover, Humanity, Stamina, Will, and perhaps even Lore "focused together" during this combat? Also consider the metagame/Narrativist context: is this a situation in which everyone at the table is attentive and engaged? These aren't rules, merely suggestions - the idea is to have the cancelling really hit hard and be special, not just an ongoing way to wax a foe because you're a bad-ass.

Best,
Ron
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: