Main Menu

best adventure?

Started by solem, January 16, 2008, 11:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solem

hey guys

this is a bit off-topic but i hope i can get some nice answers. there's a bunch of mid-20's phd students in biology and economics that are going to play D&D of all things. they're currently looking for the best possible module or adventure to play for this game system and one of them asked me if i could try and look something up. so here i am.

solem

and also, if it is a horrible idea for any twenty year old to play d&d, is there an alternative system with a great adventure that anyone could recomend? i'm not necessarily excluding killing a couple of monsters here but good puzzles, good npc's, good story, fascinating areas etc is much more important.

FredGarber

WELL, welcome to the Forge.
WHAT you'll probably find most of, on these bulletin boards, is a lot of analysis around "well, what do you and your group want?"  You'll get a whole lot of theory and experience all designed around giving you and your players the most fun you can stand, and how to work towards having a great experience each and every session.

So, in answer to your question, No. I can't recommend the "best" module for your group. Without knowing your group, (which involves your group knowing themselves)  I can't recommend a "best."

Play a session or two, and post back here what happened (good and bad), and we'll better be able to help advise you on what sort of adventures to create in order to maximize your group's fun.

contracycle

The Hardwired supplement for Cyberpunk 2020 by Walter Jon Williams.  Not least because it's written by an actual (gasp!) writer (not a "gamer") who knows what he is doing.
http://www.arrestblair.org/

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

solem

Quote from: FredGarber on January 16, 2008, 02:56:22 PM
WELL, welcome to the Forge.
WHAT you'll probably find most of, on these bulletin boards, is a lot of analysis around "well, what do you and your group want?"  You'll get a whole lot of theory and experience all designed around giving you and your players the most fun you can stand, and how to work towards having a great experience each and every session.

So, in answer to your question, No. I can't recommend the "best" module for your group. Without knowing your group, (which involves your group knowing themselves)  I can't recommend a "best."

Play a session or two, and post back here what happened (good and bad), and we'll better be able to help advise you on what sort of adventures to create in order to maximize your group's fun.

thanks. i'm actually not the guy who's going to be the dungeon master and there are no plans to create an adventure from scratch. this is probably just going to be a one-off thing with a maximum of three playing sessions because none of us are really role-playing gamers anymore, even though we played a lot when we were younger. i guess what i'm looking for is just general advice, like if someone asked: could you recommend a really great movie to watch. blade runner is a great movie but not all people would like it, still i'd really appriciate some concrete advice.

solem

Quote from: contracycle on January 16, 2008, 02:57:06 PM
The Hardwired supplement for Cyberpunk 2020 by Walter Jon Williams.  Not least because it's written by an actual (gasp!) writer (not a "gamer") who knows what he is doing.

are there any d&d modules that you'd recommend or fantasy like adventures that can be modified to fit d&d rules?

Ron Edwards

All right, after looking it over and letting it go on for a little while, I've decided this thread doesn't present a discussion topic, nor does it concern actual play. Since the thread author doesn't seem interested in discussing the actual group, either, then it isn't even about prep for actual play.

So, as moderator, I'm saying this thread is now closed. No one is to post to it again, please.

Best, Ron

solem

haha jesus christ calm down mate. i'm not unprepared to talk about the group but the problem is that i don't know anyone in it except my sister who invited me to play and i didn't think it was out of line to just ask for a concrete advice straight away. here is what i currently know:

most of them are in their mid twenties and are studying molecular biology, neuroscience or statistical economics. most of them are old role players who have played their share of hack and slash games but also some really well designed adventures to swedish pen and paper games like Eon and "drakar och demoner". this means that an adventure or module that's derivative (i assume that they have had their respective dose of pop fantasy culture) or stupid won't work very well. that's all i know at the moment

Ron Edwards

The thread's closed, man. I closed it. You do not post again when I do that. This is the Forge, not the stupid internet where typing "haha" overrides local law. The content moderator is not your mate.

Yeah, this is harsh. It's as mean as I get, because it's clear that you did not post maliciously and did indeed seek information. You're innocent of wrongdoing. This is pure structural enforcement.

The way it works here is, you can send me a private message if you think I was wrong to close a thread or in any sort of moderation. But don't buck the moderation. Think of it as a cop situation - you can dispute a traffic ticket and be taken seriously, but you can't defy the cop who gives it to you to his face. If you do, then the ticket becomes secondary to a whole 'nother sort of interaction with the law.

I do take your interest in posting here seriously. I invite you to start a new thread. Yes, I know, that seems kind of pro forma, and it is. The forms matter at this website.

You pretty much have a choice: recognize that those forms and conduct are non-negotiable, and continue to use the Forge as the powerful source of insight that it is, or decide that it's a freaky place run by a power-tripper and find a good website instead.

Best, Ron

solem

no wonder that the indie rpg phenomenon is conquering the world when it has such wonderful and reasonable representatives. i got the hint, i'm out of here.