[IAWA] I'm considering an alternate rule

Started by Lars M. Nielsen, January 17, 2008, 09:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars M. Nielsen

It's a bit early perhaps, since I haven't played it yet. But that hasn't stopped me before.

The change is to when you get to use an advantage dice (AD), and when it disappears. The rule only affects action sequences with more than two participants.

Normal Rule: When you win an AD, you get to use from the beginning of the next round and until the end of it.
Alternate Rule: When you win an AD, you get to use it until the end of your next challenge.

When I say challenge, I mean challenging someone or being challenged.

Again, these rules are functionally the same with only two participants. With three or more it creates are more natural flow to the handling of the AD, or so it would seem to me.

Suppose that in the first round of a combat you go last, and your two opponents go first. You beat the first and gain an AD, and immediately get to use it to defend against the second, also you get the tactile joy of picking up the AD and knowing you get to use it in your next roll. Under the normal rules you would have to fight off the second opponent without that juicy AD you just earned. And if he doubled on you, you wouldn't even get to use it.

Other effects of this alternate rule:
You can get an AD in play in the first round, without striking your name from the we owe list.
You can win an AD in the third round and get to use it.
AD shift back and forth more readily, every challenge can shift the balance immediately.

How does that sound?

lumpley

This is one of those things where I'm sure it'll have an effect on play, occasionally, but I bet that either way will work out fine.

Let us know how it goes.

-Vincent