[Dogs] I will brook no Dissent.

Started by Darcy Burgess, March 21, 2008, 09:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darcy Burgess

Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.

GreatWolf

I will now commit a logical fallacy.

Dogs=noir detective fiction
Gone Baby Gone=noir detective fiction

Therefore:

Dogs=Gone Baby Gone

I jest, but not really.  The genre is all about making moral judgments.  What DitV adds is a look at who is passing judgment and asks, "By what right do you get to judge?"  The rest of the genre assumes the right of the detective to pass judgment.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Darcy Burgess

"In every important way." = Holy fuck, look at what it cost him.  He's questioning his right to judge all the way, and so is his fellow Dog.  It's everyone else who's ok with his right.

GreatWolf

Quote from: Darcy Burgess on March 25, 2008, 10:37:04 AM
"In every important way." = Holy fuck, look at what it cost him.  He's questioning his right to judge all the way, and so is his fellow Dog.  It's everyone else who's ok with his right.

Ha!  I hadn't considered that.

I yield the point, sir.

And, may I say:  what an amazing film.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games

Darcy Burgess

Yeah, it came theeeese close to knocking Blade Runner out of top spot on my faves list.

It also proved, once and for all, that Ben Affleck belongs off-camera.

lachek

Fuck you both. Your chit-chat here made me watch this movie, by myself in the middle of the night, since my better half can't get within 10 feet of movies where children get hurt. And I wept. I cried like a little baby, loudly, with tears running down my cheeks.

And the most powerful moment was after the film, when I realized (SPOILER ALERT):

that Patrick lays judgment on one child abuser by shooting him dead like a helpless dog, and on another by giving her child back to her.

Yeah. A grown man, weeping like a baby. Nice. Good work.

So, the ever-present question - to make this into a Dogs town, how would you do it without replicating the ever-twisting plot and turning it into an investigation game? It seems to me that the opportunity for making important choices are lessened if players have complete information every step of the way. In the movie, it seems to me that the final (and fully informed) choice is powerful because of all the judgment the same characters have carried out given imperfect information earlier on. How much investigation-play is acceptable? What would be your approach to a Gone, Baby, Gone Dogs town - key characters, sins, demons?

GreatWolf

Quote from: lachek on March 29, 2008, 02:34:36 AM
Yeah. A grown man, weeping like a baby. Nice. Good work.

Ah.  Nothing like a pleasant start to the day.  *grin*

Glad that you found the movie to have been worthwhile.  I won't say "enjoyed", because that doesn't seem like the right word.

So, the ever-present question - to make this into a Dogs town, how would you do it without replicating the ever-twisting plot and turning it into an investigation game? It seems to me that the opportunity for making important choices are lessened if players have complete information every step of the way. In the movie, it seems to me that the final (and fully informed) choice is powerful because of all the judgment the same characters have carried out given imperfect information earlier on. How much investigation-play is acceptable? What would be your approach to a Gone, Baby, Gone Dogs town - key characters, sins, demons?

See, in my opinion, it wouldn't be one town.  It would be two, possibly more.  Consider Patrick's shooting of the first molester.  That's the end of one town.  The GM then puts pressure on that decision through the other "town", and Patrick changes his mind.

This is why Vincent says that DitV play is most powerful over time.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games