A Calendar Page

Started by apeiron, March 27, 2008, 09:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeiron

Would it be possible to have a calendar listing events that Forge members are hosting or attending?  This is the calendar i made for NoVA Game Smiths.

If you live in the NoVA/DC area and would like help developing your games, or to help others do so, send me a PM.  i'm running a monthly gathering that needs developers and testers.

Ron Edwards

That's a good idea!

Regarding the software you're using, is this the kind of thing that someone can set up on a webpage, then others can update? Or does it require a central person to whom others submit the information?

Best, Ron

apeiron

With a google calendar you can authorize certain people to be editors, or have one person do it all.  The calendar would reside in the profile of one person's gmail account.  Google Apps for your Domain might be perfect (and it's free).  It has many wonderful tools.

You might be able to find a more sophisticated system that will run on the same server as the forum.  Some kind of PHP plugin maybe.

i guess it depends on how much work you want to do.  The google apps thing would be very little work up front, but you get what they give you (quite a bit).
If you live in the NoVA/DC area and would like help developing your games, or to help others do so, send me a PM.  i'm running a monthly gathering that needs developers and testers.

Christoph Boeckle

SMF has an in-built calendar function which is quite okay. Each entry to the calendar is tied to a particular thread (multiple calendar entries can point to the same thread). Attendances would be notified by regular posts to the thread. I think that it's possible to define who has the rights to add events to the calendar.
Regards,
Christoph

apeiron

That sounds great if it can integrate with the existing forum!

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Apeiron, as far as I'm concerned, you have elected yourself the point person for setting up a useful calendar that can be used in conjunction with the Forge Conventions forum. Do it the best way you can for the best way you think it should work.

Best, Ron

apeiron

LoL.  This is what i call "The Smeller's the Feller Tasking".  Whoever identifies the need/problem/has the idea is often like to be put in charge of it.

OK, i'll start the legwork. :)

M. J. Young

I'm just a tad confused.

I did a bit of work with the SMF (Simple Machines Forum) software a year or so ago, and I remember it having a built-in calendar function. When I was using it, I had the impression that that was this--that The Forge uses the SMF software for its forum.  If so, then either the calendar is in an updated version or someone disabled the calendar function.

The administrator ought to be able to figure out if there's a calendar system incorporated in the software, and if so it should be pretty simple to activate.  But then, I know that care of the software changed hands since it was installed, so it may be that Clinton disabled something of which Vincent  is not aware.

Or is this some other forum software program?

--M. J. Young

M. J. Young

Sorry for the double post, but I notice on the bottom of the front page that this is the SMF software, so I would think the calendar is in there somewhere.

--M. J. Young

apeiron

It might be a version thing, or like you said, something not installed or never installed (but was available).

Ron Edwards

The person to talk to about that is Vincent. I know literally nothing about the software that makes the Forge go.

Best, Ron

apeiron

Where do i find this Vincent?

lumpley

Look up at the top left of the page. There's the Forge logo, then a list of links:
HOME HELP SEARCH PROFILE CALENDAR LOGOUT

-Vincent

apeiron

Was that there whole time? :[

i've added my event.  Thanks Vincent!