Main Menu

Kickers in Schism?

Started by Christopher Kubasik, March 29, 2008, 12:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Kubasik

The rule book doesn't mention them.

Does the "Death Scene" replace the Kicker?  Would Kickers clash with the Death Scene?

If there is, in fact, no Kicker, is there a recommended method for getting the game going?

Thanks!

CK
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Christopher Kubasik

And another Schism question:

In the section on Transcendence, the rules state:

Transcendence always has these three effects:
•   The discipline achieves to its maximum effect and has some kind of Telltale
•   The discipline gains an additional point to its Power score
•   The character loses one Humanity point

Now, does this apply any time a Player tries to have his character Transcend, or ONLY if the Character succeeds in Transcending. 

I ask because with the rules for the normal use of Powers doesn't require more rolls if the roll to use the Power fails.

I suppose another way to look at it is this: is there a downside to trying to get transcendence and failing?

I'm assuming there's no Control roll required for a failed Transcendence roll, as per the normal Discipline rules noted above.

CK
Lemonhead, The Shield

Ron Edwards

These are Jared questions! I hope he comes by to help.

Best, Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Christopher Kubasik on March 29, 2008, 12:10:43 AM
The rule book doesn't mention them.

Does the "Death Scene" replace the Kicker?  Would Kickers clash with the Death Scene?

If there is, in fact, no Kicker, is there a recommended method for getting the game going?

Thanks!

CK

Hey, there.

I think Kickers came into vogue after Schism was published (in 2001, yikes). The various stories mentioned in the "How to run this section" can be used to create Kickers though, depending on the type of story.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Christopher Kubasik on March 29, 2008, 01:44:47 AM
And another Schism question:

In the section on Transcendence, the rules state:

Transcendence always has these three effects:
•   The discipline achieves to its maximum effect and has some kind of Telltale
•   The discipline gains an additional point to its Power score
•   The character loses one Humanity point

Now, does this apply any time a Player tries to have his character Transcend, or ONLY if the Character succeeds in Transcending. 

I ask because with the rules for the normal use of Powers doesn't require more rolls if the roll to use the Power fails.

I suppose another way to look at it is this: is there a downside to trying to get transcendence and failing?

I'm assuming there's no Control roll required for a failed Transcendence roll, as per the normal Discipline rules noted above.

CK

Characters may roll their Origin vs. their Discipline's current Power to transcend the use of a Discipline. Through Transcendence, the character will be able to extend the limits of their abilities, often to an incredible degree. The player simply declares a desire to transcend their power before using a discipline.

The Transcendent character then rolls Control. In this case, the character rolls their discipline's Power (every
die of it!) vs. their Control dice.

You don't have to make a Control roll if it fails. The downsides are auto-manifestation of the Telltale and a loss of Humanity.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Christopher Kubasik

Lemonhead, The Shield