[Sorcerer] The Cool Chart in Chapter 7: still cool?

Started by James_Nostack, May 19, 2008, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James_Nostack

On page 119 of Sorcerer, there is a neat little chart describing a couple of sorcerous traditions, describing typical methods, prices, demon-types, and so so on.  I have a lot of affection for this chart!  For the first few months after I got Sorcerer, I thought it was kind of bland, and didn't see what the fuss was about: but that chart, which ties Lore into the setting's color, and also suggests things about the demon-characters and the player-characters.  That chart clued me in that while Sorcerer is all about Humanity at the player level, to the characters it looks like everything is all about Lore. 

I haven't seen many other charts like that in other Sorcerer supplements or one-sheets, and I'm wondering if it's been deprecated over the last couple years.  I'm thinking of working up something similar for the Dictionary of Mu game we're gonna run in a few weeks.   
--Stack

Ron Edwards

Hi James,

QuoteThat chart clued me in that while Sorcerer is all about Humanity at the player level, to the characters it looks like everything is all about Lore.

That's really well-stated. I like that a lot.

It seems to me as if I retained that diagrammatic approach fairly strongly through the supplements. It's part of Chapter 1 in The Sorcerer's Soul, and I expanded upon Chapter 7 in the core book in Chapter 1 of Sex & Sorcery. I think it would be easy to whip up a chart of this kind for the three settings in Sorcerer & Sword, too.

So my take, certainly, is to use that summary method enthusiastically.

Best, Ron