Linking directly to a Reply / Comment?

Started by Ry, May 27, 2008, 08:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ry

I tried searching for this and I tried a few strings of code, but no luck.

Is there a way to link directly to a single comment, so only that comment shows?

lumpley

There is. Let me find it. It's one of those things...

Okay. See where it says "Re: Linking directly to a Reply / Comment?" at the top of this, my reply? Right above "Reply #1 on:"? There's a little icon next to it that looks like a newspaper or stack of notepages or something? That's the link. The little icon is the same link too.

-Vincent

lumpley

Oh wait, that doesn't show only that single comment, it just takes you to that comment in the thread.

I think that's the best you'll get. I know that RPGnet has a single post view, but I'm pretty sure the Forge doesn't.

-Vincent

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I recommend linking to the thread, not to a comment. Also, if there were a way to display the comment alone, I'd ask Vincent to disable it.

Discussions at the Forge are considered to be units; a post is not a blog entry nor a stand-alone entity of any kind. I've observed over and over that external links that go right to a specific post are always, always flame-bait, and that when people read and post in reply to what they perceive as single-post entries, they use very little of their brains at the time.

You'll be giving the site community, and discourse in general, a big leg up if you link to the thread as a whole, thus facilitating people to consider and to respect the discussion as a whole.

Best, Ron

Ry

Well, I'm putting the threads to a very specific use, and I'm definitely considering the entire thread as I do it.  That said, I'll simply use quotations and link to the thread itself. 

Ron Edwards