Ways to handle PDF downloads?

Started by Andy Kitkowski, August 21, 2008, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Hey all, I'm looking for a software kit for the web to do basically one thing (so I don't need a whole CRM/CMS or anything): I want something that can "cool-ly" handle generating PDF links for users. 

So, I've got Maid RPG just about ready to sell as a PDF. But the screen version comes out to around 7mb. Which is probably fine, now that Gmail allows attachments that large and larger. But I don't want to tell people with smaller accounts "make sure you get a GMAIL account" (I may have to, just to be cheap and low-cost). 

Does anyone know of any web tools that can help?

Thanks!
-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

greyorm

Are you looking for something automated, or something you manually punch data into and it spits out a unique download URL?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Andy Kitkowski

Actually, I was looking at either way.  Basically a way I could give a unique URL (either manually without TOO much setup) or auto-magically to folks who presumably bought the game, so I didn't have to give everyone a single download location ("xxxxxxx.com/pdf/the_game.pdf").

Here's the thing, though. I was looking for this, while thinking in the back of my mind "I'd like to work with IPR in the future".  I just turned "In The Future" into "Today", and contacted them. So most likely, next week I'll be offering the PDF through them.

However, if anyone knows a solution, it might help out other folks. My personal needs are met at the moment, though.

Thanks!

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

greyorm

Ah, excellent!

But to answer your question for future seekers, one method is detailed here, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with a little PHP and have a MySQL db set up. There's also this shareware program, which might be slightly easier to use. (However, I've never tried either so I can't recommend or comment on them.)
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Andy Kitkowski

Wow, that shareware package seems to be exactly what I wanted, if I was still going that route. Nice find!

-Andy