So, I'm Flying a Spaceship...

Started by Christopher Kubasik, September 01, 2008, 01:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Kubasik

Good call on the Descriptor!

My thinking is, "Yes!"  But I'm a little concerned that each player might end up with their own "Threat to Humanity" and pull the game in too many directions.  (Just as you warned against having willy nilly Lore definitions in Sorcerer.)

What I think I'll do is check with the Players during character creation.  What do they see as the threat to friendship in the game, given the situation and setting I lay out?  I think that might work well.  On the other hand, I might just nail it down.  I'll think on it.

For the record, I think the threat to the friendship in The Man Who Would Be King is Ambition.  Carnehan and Peachy do a bit near the top of the film mocking the upper class, bemoaning their fate if they go back to England (they'll end up doormen), and set off to be kings to rise above their station -- going to the wilds where a man can fight to become a king.  When Peachy is falsely recognized as a king he ends up believing he's a king, turning his back on his buddy even as Carnehan tries to warn Peachy that they're both in over their heads and it's time to grab the treasure and get the hell out.

I do think that Ambition really is the crux for Traveller as well.  Whether it's "What you'll do to pay off your own ship," "What you'll do to get a big fat mercenary ticket," or "What you'll do to change your Social Standing," the in-fiction setting elements and adventure material was always based on the idea that your character wasn't satisfied with what he had and was willing to wage war, conduct criminal activity and risk it all for more.
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

Christopher Kubasik

And another question, Ron.

You've mentioned in passing, a couple of times I think, curiosity of what a "mundane" demon-less play of Sorcerer would be like.

I don't know if you've mulled this much, but that's in part what inspired me to use Sorcerer for Traveller, so I wanted to follow up.

Did you have thoughts how you would use the slot reserved for Lore?  Would you just have Will, Stamina and Cover/Past? 

CK
Lemonhead, The Shield

Christopher Kubasik

And, to be clearer:

What I'm really using is Sorcerer & Sword as the base game.
Lemonhead, The Shield

Per Fischer

Quote from: Christopher Kubasik on September 26, 2008, 10:33:39 AM

You've mentioned in passing, a couple of times I think, curiosity of what a "mundane" demon-less play of Sorcerer would be like.
<snip>
Did you have thoughts how you would use the slot reserved for Lore?  Would you just have Will, Stamina and Cover/Past? 

I'm curious abut this as well, mostly because it might help convince players I know to try Sorcerer (at all or for more than a short demo). Maybe that's worth a thread of its own?

Right now I'm working on a tweak of Judd's Blood Simple one-sheet (the one where demons are "scumbags" from the wrong side of town). I have Lore as "Insight" (not sure that's the best translation) and Scumbags only have two stats: Insight and Vigour, where Insight=Lore and also doubles for Will, and Vigour=Power and also doubles for Stamina. Haven't tested it in actual play yet, so it might be a stinker.

But...I'd love to hear about mundane Sorcerer.

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Christopher Kubasik

And HEY!

Don't forget Per and I want answers!
Lemonhead, The Shield

Ron Edwards

Hi Christopher and Per,

Here are the relevant threads, which you've probably already seen:
Humans with Desires and Needs
Humans as demons and The Matador
Sorcerer without demons, magic or demons

Feel free to start a new thread, which I ask that you make more specific than "Hey, what about this?"

Best, Ron

Christopher Kubasik

Lemonhead, The Shield

Christopher Kubasik

Oh, and my Traveller game is on.

We did character creation on Sunday.

Once my players email me their characters, I'll be posting final rules and PCs up in Actual Play.
Lemonhead, The Shield

Per Fischer

Check, I am re-reading those threads, and will try to formulate some kind of question about mundane Sorcerer in a new thread.
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.