new Forge glossary / directory / encyclopedia live off-site

Started by David Berg, September 04, 2008, 05:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Berg

I haven't received any feedback to my submission, so I'm hosting it here:

http://www.david-berg.com/forgeglossary.html

I personally think this is a handy way for folks to familiarize themselves with a variety of the terms and concepts here at the Forge, moreso than the current Glossary.  Anyone who checks it out and feels similarly, please don't hesitate to link newcomers to it.

Ps,
-David
here's my blog, discussing Delve, my game in development

Moreno R.

Nice!  I already posted a link to it on the italian Narrattiva forum.

It's the final version, or it's a work-in-progress?
Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)

jag

Nice job.  Two suggestions:

1. Make the italicized thread titles links to the thread (easy to suggest, a pain to do...)
2. Your sublistings under Authority make it seem like all 6 entries (Credibility, The Four Authorities, and then the four authorities) are of equal placing in the hierarchy, when IMO the four authorities should be sub-headings under The Four Authorities.

James

Ron Edwards

Hey everyone,

It's best to consider everything posted at the Forge is a work in progress.

Best, Ron

David Berg

Moreno,
There are a few specific details I intended to touch up and didn't get around to.  There are also a ton of changes I think might be wise (some of which I've listed in Part IV), but which break with Forge history, and so might be unwelcome for longtimers. 

At the moment, I'm not super motivated to work more on this.  If I get the impression that it's being used by a lot of people, or is about to be, that will change.

James,
I turned a shitload of references into links.  How many did I miss?  If it's just a few, and you can point me to 'em, I'll do it.

As for Authority, I think you're right that it's awkward as is.  I don't think it's gonna confuse anyone, though, so I'm lumping that in my "minor details to straighten out later" pile for now.  I appreciate the comment, though, and encourage you and others to contribute any similar things you catch!

Ps,
-David

Moreno R.

Hi David!

If I notice something that is missing from the glossary, how should I proceed? Should I post here or write to you by e-mail? Can I send (or post) the written definition to add, or simply tell you that I think something is missing?
Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)

David Berg

Moreno,

I think this thread would be the perfect place for both general and specific suggestons.

You can also e-mail me if you want, but that'd be my #2 preference.

Thanks,
-David

David Berg

chance.thirteen

I for one would like to see de-jargonized examples of the various terms. Give me a made up and perhaps simplified example that lays out what is being referred to, just to get the mind on track.

If the wiki supports the kind of spoiler tags that hides something behind a collapsing bar, those would keep said examples from cluttering up the page too much.

Personally, I would like to see some strong examples of the various creative agendas, especially dealing with the areas where the terms in common usage cross over into the definition of one of the specific CA names. (EG many people associate gamism with enjoying using the game system, be it to build characters, build spells or spaceships, or using specific moves in all the forms of conflict. Yet the CA seems to be about the end goal which is wining against other players.)

M. J. Young

Chance Thirteen, have you seen the Theory 101 series at Places to Go People to Be?  It might help with some of that.  In brief:

http://ptgptb.org/0026/theory101-01.html System and the Shared Imagined Space gives the nuts-and-bolts of the social interaction aspect and how games "work" at that level, including particularly the relationships between players and characters and the amount of credibility the player has in each instance--and what all that means in simpler terms.

http://ptgptb.org/0027/theory101-02.html The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast mostly examines referee styles and how players and referees interact in terms of credibility distribution.

http://ptgptb.org/0028/theory101-03.html Creative Agenda explains the three agenda and how to recognize them, and why they are in conflict with each other.

I've got other articles on various subjects elsewhere, but these are a good starting point.

--M. J. Young