Online Sorcerer Play: Does anyone still do it?

Started by Ian Christiansen, October 18, 2008, 12:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Christiansen

Hi All,

My buddy recently introduced me to a PbP (play-by-post) site where I'm attempting to run a couple Sorcerer games. I was wondering if anyone here still plays online, and if so what is your preferred fromat, PbP or chat programs?

I'd love to actually play the game again, as a player rather than a GM, as I've only done so once I think since my intro to the game five or six years ago. I think it would really help my understanding of Sorcerer to play with some of the veterans out there. Of course, if you play any other games online let me know as well... I'm not adverse to trying something new either. I will say that I'm rather finished with DnD however, and sadly the site we're currently playing on seems to be a haven to DnD fanboys.

In case anyone is interested in checking out our games, the site we're currently doing PbP on is called Myth Weavers. It's kinda sissyish, as they have this PG-13 content rule, but I've just made all game posting threads private to players only in order to avoid the censors. So far, it's working. I do really like the layout of the site for some reason, and though it's slow, I like the way the games look in PbP format. I've even found one new Sorcerer player who was looking for someone to play with and so far he's working out great.

Cheers,
- Ian

Trevis Martin

Hi Ian,

Sure some of us do.  One of my favorite games was our Razing Arizona game that we played through rpol.net. They had some rating systems but not the blanket PG-13 requirement that you mention.  It's not there anymore but I have the transcripts of all the threads.  Alexander Cherry ran it. I had a great time playing that game. I'm pretty sure we posted about it here.  It lasted about two years and it had some good play with great characters.  I was only sorry it fizzled and didn't get to see the stories conclude.  But such is the way with online games in my experience.

Anyway we're just getting started with a &Sword game over at Snail's Pace (http://snailspace.forgreatjustice.net) with a setting inspired by Nausicaa.  We'll see how it goes.

All the games I've played have been on forum software but I think wiki would be usable.  I hear the new hotness in town is gaming over Skype, which I'd like to try.

Ian Christiansen

Hey Trev,

Yeah, I remember hearing about that Razing Arizona game around here when I was looking at old threads on online play. I'd love to see some of the transcripts if you don't mind. Could you send something to my email? I'm interested in seeing other people's Sorcerer games, because aside from a Con Game with Scott Knipe five or six years ago, I've only experienced my little group in Chicago and my online experiences... 95% of which I ran.

Thanks,
- Ian

Ron Edwards

You're in Chicago?? You goofball, get in touch. That's where I live.

Best, Ron

Ian Christiansen

Quote from: Ron Edwards on October 21, 2008, 06:32:20 PM
You're in Chicago?? You goofball, get in touch. That's where I live.

Best, Ron

No, I was in Chicago. I moved to Dublin about 3 years ago unfortunately. If I ever get to spend any extended time there again, preferably sans wife and baby, I would love to try and meet up for a game. I'd love to get out of here and go to Chicago for a week just to do some gaming with my old friends, and maybe some new ones too!

Adept Press doesn't do any Cons in the UK/Ireland region, do they? I had a great time at the one and only Con I ever attended, and would definitely bribe the missus heavily to do it again some day.

Cheers,
- Ian