[IaWA] using different dice?

Started by Dionysus, November 24, 2008, 12:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dionysus

Howdy.

Just wondering if anyone has given thougt to changing the dice?

I have a metric ton of d6 and d10, but no d12, d8 or d4 dice.

Has anyone given thought to modifying the mechanics to use pools of dice rather than just the roll for a dice? Is it even possible?

lumpley

Try this, but absolutely no promises. D6s only.

Assign these to your forms: 1 1 1 2 2 3. Assign these to NPC forms: 2 3 5. Those are how many dice you roll when you roll that form.

When you roll, sum your two highest dice. Use the rest of your dice to break ties. Compare, reroll, etc. as normal.

Particular strengths are worth 1 die, potent ones 2 dice, doubly potent ones 3 dice. Just include them in your roll.

The advantage die works exactly as it does now - a distinctive die to add to your two-highest-sum.

Did I miss any details? I think that might work.

-Vincent

Dionysus

Hmmm.. interesting.

I think i like very much - actually seems a bit of a simplification.

One thing that still confuses me a bit, is the "bonus die with pips". In the rules it seems to only act as a +1, cant ever see the dice actually being rolled.

Am i missing something there?

Paul T

I don't have the book in front of me, but the rule is unambiguous:

You add the pips on the advantage die to the total on your highest die.

So, if you roll an 8 on your d10, and a 5 on your d6 (advantage die), your total is 13 (8+5).

I hope that helps.

Dionysus

ahh ok.. I supse its just that the first example he is rolling 1.

so in a "d6" version lumpley posted above - the bonus dice would be a straight adder 2d6 -> 3d6

so if a person had 3d6 to roll, and a 1d6 strength, I would roll 4d6, and sum the top two dice?

but a 3d6 and 1 advantage dice would roll 4d6 and sum the top three dice?

Dionysus

Quote from: Dionysus on November 25, 2008, 04:41:32 AM
ahh ok.. I supse its just that the first example he is rolling 1.

so in a "d6" version lumpley posted above - the bonus dice would be a straight adder 2d6 -> 3d6

so if a person had 3d6 to roll, and a 1d6 strength, I would roll 4d6, and sum the top two dice?

but a 3d6 and 1 advantage dice would roll 4d6 and sum the top three dice?

ok, forget this - re-read the earlier description.... everything is top two dice summed, other dice used to break ties.

lumpley

Okay.

If I had 3d6 to roll, plus a particular strength, I'd roll 4d6 and sum the top two dice.

Example: I roll 2 3 5 6. My sum is 11 (5+6).

If I had 3d6 to roll, plus an advantage die, I'd roll 3d6, sum the top two dice, and add the number on the advantage die.

Example: I roll 2 3 6, plus 5 on the advantage die. My sum is 14 (3+6+5).

-Vincent

Paul T

This is interesting.

For one thing, it certainly makes figuring out how goes on the Owe List a whole lot easier.

On the other hand, it's almost cutting the Form currency in half. I guess that means exhaustion and injuring should only reduce one form instead of two, huh?

Brand_Robins

Huh?

You've still got six forms for PCs, three for NPCs. What am I missing?
- Brand Robins

lumpley

This dice-rolling scheme will badly mess up the "if I double you, you're done" rule. Now it needs to be something like "if I beat you by 4, you're done." (I didn't do the math, 4 is my first guess.)

-Vincent

Paul T

Brand,

d4 through d12 is five possible levels. Vincent is suggesting that Forms now go from 1 to 3, which is only three possible levels.

In this variant, someone using their weakest Forms (1, 1) can be taken out of the story in just one action sequence.

Paul

---

(For more detail:

Adding together the number of Form/levels a character has:

d12 - 5
d10 - 4
d8 - 3
d6 - 2, 2
d4 - 1

Total: 17

With six-sided dice:

2, 2
1, 1, 1

Total: 10

So, it's not quite half, but it's closer to half than equality.)

Dionysus

Well, the number of dice being rolled looks/feels about correct, but it seems that the "damage" is off.

As Paul showed us, ifs about 17" of the original values.

So perhaps a nice work around would be to make the injure/exhaust take away once dice (person with stick chooses)?

Brand_Robins

Paul,

Good catch, I totally missed that.
- Brand Robins

Ry

Here's my attempt that might preserve the doubling / halving rules:

PCs assign d10, d10, d10, d6, d6, d6 (sums to 48)
NPCs get d10/d10, d10/d6, d6/d6  (sums to 48)

Damage hits only one die at a time, but turns a d10 to a d6 or a d6 to a 0

Now Particular Strengths do this:  All starting (Significance 1) particular strengths give a d10 - i.e. they all choose Potent.  They can upgrade to Far-Reaching, Consequential, Broad, or Unique.  There is no such thing as doubly potent.

The difference in die-size sums for starting characters is only 2 faces, and in damage you still take 2 of the original die sizes per hit, but they're not spread out over 2 dice. 

Valvorik

Sorry for being thick, but why bother changing this?

Rob