Main Menu

Dice for Dogs

Started by Ayyavazi, April 06, 2009, 04:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayyavazi

Hey there,

Lets say I want to start a game of Dogs in the Vineyard. Lets also say I have to supply all of the dice for the game. How many of each die size do you reccomend I get? And what sites do you reccomend buying from? I'm trying to work from a budget of $30, but can exceed it if necessary. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Norm

David Artman

OK, so I am going to assume about four players (including the GM; "P" = # of players).

Not many folks work the d4, so call that 2xPd4 (8d4).
The d6 seems to be common, so call it 4xPd6 (16d6).
The d8s and d10s are heavy, and therefore rare. Call it 2xPd8 and d10 (8d8, 8d10)

So.... long story short, I'd say play with about two "D&D" sets per player, counting the GM; plus a buddy's White Wolf dice and another buddy's Hero dice (i.e. a brick of d10 and d6).

Which reminds me... I gotta go collect some d8s.
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages

Falc

Remember that, once they've been rolled, all you need is to remember what value they rolled and whether you've used it or not. So technically, you could run it with one die of each size and a pen and paper. Bit bothersome, but workable.

Or you could roll a d6, get a 5 and then use a spare d20 to mark the value if you need to roll an additional d6. Most shops I've seen have some sort of 'grab bag of dice' option which should suit your needs just fine.

Heck there's this Pound of dice thing which is within your price range and should be more than enough.

Ayyavazi

Thanks a ton guys,

I will be trying to run the game in such a way as to involve most of the players in every conflict, which means I need everyone to have enough dice. But even if I double the figures below, the pound of dice will still probably be enough. And if its not, we can figure something out.

I was originally going to buy lots of 25 of each of those for $11.50 from dicepool.com, but I guess that would be over-kill, eh?

Thanks,

--norm

oliof

I would about double Davids numbers.

Jasper Flick

In the little play I've had, people used lots of d4 traits and got a lot of fallout from talking, requiring quite a bit of d4s.
Trouble with dice mechanics? Check out AnyDice, my online dice distribution calculator!

Filip Luszczyk

You need an enormous amount of dice. A decent conflict in Dogs can require a potentially infinite pool - though in practice, two or three Chessex pounds of dice should cover your needs. After struggling with some suboptimal methods (like recording the numbers and re-rolling, using cards instead of dice, etc.) I ordered three of those for my face to face DitV games. If you tend to play with a computer in the room, you can also consider using this Vassal module, created with Dogs and other highly demanding dice systems in mind.

Ayyavazi

Thanks a bunch guys. I can only afford about 1 and 1/2 pounds a month for dice, as I am working from a $30 monthly budget. But I suppose its about necessary. I can make due with a pound, hopefully, and get a second when I can. I'm trying to balance the $30 to buy games and dice. Maybe I should set up a donations website for dice and games, heh.

Anyway, thanks again.

--Norm

newsalor

Have your players bring their own dice. That's how I did it even though I did buy a pack of those small six-sided dice that are propably meant for the Warhammer crowd.
Olli Kantola