Font and Font size for 8x11 book

Started by Seamus, April 25, 2009, 06:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnifex

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on May 09, 2009, 04:49:45 PM
And, of course, because the font you have happens to be in an older format and you don't want to rebuy your font library in Opentype. My point was that it is likely better to use the typographically best font you have available, making the wrapper format a secondary concern. Some rare printers might not be able to handle Truetype, but I've yet to encounter that in practice, myself.

I've been working at a printer for several years. This was 1996-2000 and we had only PostScript level 2 ripper. Of course most printers today have newer RIPers. I've sent literally hundreds of jobs (probably more than a thousand) to printers since then and I've always worked with Type 1 fonts because that's the most professional way to do it IMO. You could say that the use of Type 1 fonts is standard in the graphic industry - at least here in Europe. If you have worked for a long time in this business and have other experience I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I don't mean you have to buy new fonts or anything - just be a bit cautious when you're working with TrueType fonts.

Eero Tuovinen

Oh, I've been doing professional layout work for only a couple of years - and I don't even disagree with you on anything substantial. Most of my work has been with Finnish newspapers and boardgame printers in Germany and China, and I've yet to encounter trouble with Truetype fonts. In principle you're of course correct - the technical possibility is there for a printer that doesn't support Truetype, while the same isn't really true for Type 1. My attitude on this has pretty reasonably been that I'll trust on the printer to inform me if they can't handle the fonts I've used - if it ever came up, I guess I'd get replacement fonts in the correct format.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

David C

I audited a class (sitting through the class without actually being in the class) where the professor was a desktop publisher for his own business.  The class was on desktop publishing.  I took a lot of notes and

QuoteI've heard that for printed work, you want to use only True Type Fonts.  (use wikipedia.)   

was one of them.  I kind of meant it as a "That's what I heard, anyways" type of comment. Now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't the inDesign fonts be good enough for just about anything?  It is a $500 program.  (The class was on inDesign.) 
...but enjoying the scenery.

Carnifex

Quote from: David C on May 10, 2009, 04:26:49 AM
I audited a class (sitting through the class without actually being in the class) where the professor was a desktop publisher for his own business.  The class was on desktop publishing.  I took a lot of notes and

QuoteI've heard that for printed work, you want to use only True Type Fonts.  (use wikipedia.)   

was one of them.  I kind of meant it as a "That's what I heard, anyways" type of comment. Now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't the inDesign fonts be good enough for just about anything?  It is a $500 program.  (The class was on inDesign.) 

TrueType fonts are not installed with InDesign (or any other Adobe program i'm aware of) - only OpenType fonts (and Type 1 on earlier versions). 

Carnifex