Help with PDFs from InDesign CS4

Started by hoefer, June 14, 2009, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoefer

Hey gang,

I've recently switched to the CS4 package from CS2 and I'm noticing that when I have an image in the background, behind another image I can sort of see a ghost line through the whiter spots of the image in the foreground when I make a PDF.  In case it's not clear, let's say I have a picture of a car in the background.  Now in the foreground is a picture of a guy wearing white pants, positioned in front of part of the car.  While viewing the preview things look fine.  Then, when I tell InDesign to export it to a PDF you can see a faint line where the edge of the car is, through the guys pants.  I didn't have this problem before (back when I was using CS2).  Do you think I have something set wrong/different?  I don't really understand all the bells and whistles (I know, it's like giving a chimpanzee the A-Bomb).  There's the whole transparency flattener  and some of the quality settings that seem suspicious to me, but I don't want to monkey around with things too much so I thought I  would see what some of you gurus had to suggest.  Thanks for any help you can give me...

Louis Hoefer
www.wholesumentertainment.com

Carnifex

* This could be a sceen error which will disappear when you print from the PDF - does the problems remain when you print the PDF?

* Try to change the "Compability" to a higher version. This will require the one using the PDF to have a newer version of adobe reader and could cause problems with the print shop.

* Alternatively, if you have to choose PDF 1.3 you could adjust the transparance flattener preset to "High Resolution" (you could also save your own preset under Edit > transparance flattener preset).

* If nothing else works you have to avoid transparancy on the problematic page.

Carnifex

I forgot to ask you: do you use any transparency at all on the pictures? Shadows? Also you might check the Object > Effects to see that everything is set to normal.

hoefer

Thanks for the replies!  I have not printed the pages in question since I switched to CS4.  They used to print fine under CS2.  I will try them soon and see if it's just a monitor/adobe visualizing issue.  I will, also, have to check the settings on the object>effects.  I tend to do a lot of clipping-detect edges and feathering...  Do you happen to know what the optimal PDF version is for web content?  I don't really want to provide clickable tables of contents or anything, just a nice-looking document that prints well for the users.  I figure I will start doing more of the advanced PDF stuff when I understand those features better and can think through what features add value and which are just unneeded bells/whistles.  Thanks again for responding, I was worried no one would have any suggestions...

Louis Hoefer
www.wholesumentertainment.com