Multiple Games down the Rabbit Hole

Started by RabbitHoleGames, July 05, 2009, 12:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RabbitHoleGames

As I said in the Modus Vivendi thread, this is the user formerly posting under that moniker. My wife and I comprise the company of Rabbit Hole Games & Design. We create games and also do art services. We are also working on a handful of game concepts at once.

Modus Vivendi- Not so much a game as a game system much as D20 is to D&D. There are 3 planned genres this will flow into. Standard Fantasy with lots of magic and mythical beasts, Superheroes, and a science fiction game which gives guidelines for space opera or alien invasion type stuff.

5C- Also a game system. It derives it's name from the stats used. Capacity (strength), Coordination (Dexterity), Cardio (Health), Competence (Intelligence), and Charm (Carisma). This system will be used for some more focused games.

5C, Monster Maidens- One game with Two settings. One way to play is in midieval times where monsters are monsters and there are very brutal consequences for being one. The other setting is Monsters in Highschool. Werewolves, Minotaurs, etc in normal highschool settings with humans. Like a cross between True Blood, Harry Potter, Twilight, and such.

5C, J.V. Heroes- Much like Monster Maidens this game has two levels of play. Highschool Superheroes, and College Superheroes. Trying to save the day and study for an exam at the same time has never been so much fun. It's like Smallville but Clark isn't the only power packing teen in school. Can you make the team, keep the grades, get the girl, and save the day while keeping some time for a normal life?

Squared Circle Spectacular/ Ring Of Champions- A game that brings you into the wrestling world like none have before. Winning is not the only thing that matters in the world of the Male Soap Opera. You can win the fans and still lose the match. Different fans respect different athletes. Build enough fans and the big leagues will take notice. Build an army of fans and you may just headline the main event at the superbowl of the sport for the golden belt of champions. Or run the show and pick a roster from the dozens of spandex clad gladiators and build the ratings to become the last company standing.

RabbitHoleGames

Upon further checking on each of the external, non Modus Vivendi games. I do believe they can all fit the system pretty well and add things to the MV core that would be good assets to the system.

For instance the Highschool fantasy game adds in stat blocks and social archetypes for teenage fantasy races. These additions may be blendable to someone's high fantasy game that wants to further differentiate members of different monster clans.

Seth M. Drebitko

Are there any specific concerns you have with your system meshing with these game, or kinks your trying to work out with the games.
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

RabbitHoleGames

One thing I am pondering is the way to release the game. I know most games now do the core game in 3 books but some still do 1. I am wondering that if I just do 1, which or at least how many, should be covered in the core game to each setting, and how many should be in a supplemental monster/foes book.

Fatespinner

Isn't there only one game, that doesn have 3 core books, while all other games have one one core book plus any number of supplements? I think it is the best idea to have everything that you need to have in one core book. Additional setting information and more details should go into supplements, not rules or stuff that is requiered to play a game.

Seth M. Drebitko

In my opinion this is totally up to how your game plays. For example BESM is suited for a one book deal it is all about being a toolkit game. Now take Alternity or example they used two books as their game was better suited to this is how you play the game this is how you run the game style set up. D&D is all about kicking doors down and crushing beasts so knowing how to play (PHB) is key, as is knowing how to run (DMG), and you can't forget you need piles of things homes to break into (MM).
  When making your core books what you need to do is think to yourself if I take each key aspect of play (which in D&D beating monsters up is) and make a single book out of it will it be greater than 300 pages? If it will be probably a good idea to slice that pie up. Don't split your books up just for the cash either buyers will see the ploy and be less likely to explore your title.

RabbitHoleGames

I do indeed want to keep it from being a 600-1000 page single volume. Hero System had that and it was hard to sift through it all.

BESM and SAS and by extention the core system of Tri-statDX is one of my influences.

Seth M. Drebitko

If your working on a toolbox game I would say you are probably good just selling one book. Maybe at most you might create a small little book that details custom creation of "powers" or what not, and some extra advice for gm's.

RabbitHoleGames

I am not so much making a toolbox game as it sounds. While all the settings can work together, they don't always fit. Each world/setting will have several major NPCs and whatnot. I thought after a few of the settings came out that I would write a Blender book for merging them together. Like setting A is part of setting B but it is so far away that they have not met each other yet.