DITV: Played our first session.

Started by Corey_at_Keene, January 22, 2010, 07:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey_at_Keene

Hey everybody.

So, I've had Dogs for a little while now, and it's been sitting around and tempting me to try it out.  I was convinced for the longest time that my troupe of role players wouldn't be interested, we are all old school (if you call second ed old school) DnDer's.  Certainly not the types to go around trying artsy independent games.   But to my surprise when I suggested Dogs after our last campaign finished up, they agreed to give it a go.

They came up with two Dogs, and the open ended nature of the character creation gave  one of them a bit of trouble. He was only able to phrase traits in terms of skills, but I told him that was perfectly fine.  Then we decided to go ahead and play the initiation scenes.

I have seen people here talking about the initiation and it seems that quite a few players fail at the challenge.  That is strange to me because neither of my players came that close to failing the conflict seeing as how they could escalate and I couldn't.  They both took some short term fallout and a good time was had by all.

Next time we play I'll run one of the towns in the index, a nice simple town ending at demonic attacks. 

lumpley

Oh no! Don't do it!

Create a town yourself, and take it all the way to hate and murder. You'll have so much more fun that way.

-Vincent

Gareth_Lazelle

Quote from: Corey_at_Keene on January 22, 2010, 07:26:55 PM
I have seen people here talking about the initiation and it seems that quite a few players fail at the challenge.  That is strange to me because neither of my players came that close to failing the conflict seeing as how they could escalate and I couldn't.  They both took some short term fallout and a good time was had by all.
Fun is key so I wouldn't complain too much ;)

That said, you could take a couple of extra dice every time the players escalate? After all as well as the escalation, the players may also have some traits and relationships that might help giving them the potential for a lot of dice. Ultimately I suspect the players will be choosing to Give to avoid Fallout rather than due to lack of dice though (4D10 is nasty if the players are rolling mostly D6s), so there's still some potential to fail,