[IAWA] Negotiating after the final conflict

Started by pseudoidiot, May 25, 2010, 05:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pseudoidiot

Ran my group through our first game of IAWA and it went pretty well.

One thing I thought of on the way home.

I have a feeling most groups have a pretty good sense of when a chapter is wrapping up as far as thinking "okay, this is probably the last conflict". If I just lost and I'm pretty sure we've hit a good stopping point for the night, what's to stop me from just refusing to negotiate and just take being injured or exhausted.

I guess as a GM I could try and fight that sort of thing by coming up with another scene, but I'd worry I'd just be stretching things out needlessly just to try and punish that kind of behavior.

Maybe I'm over thinking it and it really doesn't become an issue or am I just overlooking something?

-Jeremiah
-Jeremiah

Paul T

Let's see:

1. For wrapping up chapter, Vincent's guidelines are really good. Read them, in the rules! Following them often means ending a chapter much earlier than you would normally think. That's a good thing!

2. If you take exhaustion or injury in the last scene, it still matters, because whenever your character appears in the story again, you'll be stuck with those lower dice unless you choose to "reassign dice" instead of taking a new Particular Strength. And even if you're not on the Owe List, your character could always recur just by someone seeing the oracle results and thinking, "Hey, that sounds like character X, doesn't it?"

3. A good rule to make exhaustion and/or injury more interesting is to allow the winner to narrate the form it takes. Ok, you're injured or exhausted. How does it happen? What does it look like? Much more interesting, now: if you don't want to take that, you've got to negotiate.

I hope that helps!

pseudoidiot

Quote from: Paul T on May 25, 2010, 11:00:06 PM2. If you take exhaustion or injury in the last scene, it still matters, because whenever your character appears in the story again, you'll be stuck with those lower dice unless you choose to "reassign dice" instead of taking a new Particular Strength. And even if you're not on the Owe List, your character could always recur just by someone seeing the oracle results and thinking, "Hey, that sounds like character X, doesn't it?"
Quote from: Paul T on May 25, 2010, 11:00:06 PM2. If you take exhaustion or injury in the last scene, it still matters, because whenever your character appears in the story again, you'll be stuck with those lower dice unless you choose to "reassign dice" instead of taking a new Particular Strength. And even if you're not on the Owe List, your character could always recur just by someone seeing the oracle results and thinking, "Hey, that sounds like character X, doesn't it?"
Ah-ha! That's what I was missing. I had to re-read that section to realize you only choose one from the list. I had it in my head you always got to reassign your forms.

Thanks!
-Jeremiah