Main Menu

My Life with Master in German

Started by Jarkov, July 02, 2010, 02:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarkov

I was wondering if there had ever been any idea of translating My Life with Master into German. If there hasn't, it would be interesting to see if there was any interest for that.

Paul Czege

Hi,

Early on a German fan of the game offered to do a translation if I wanted to hire her. But I don't speak or read German and I think the ability to represent for a game in the purchaser's language and online scene is critical to the success of a translated edition. The Finnish and Italian versions are licensed translations to folks who participate in the Finnish and Italian gaming scene at conventions and online, and the translations have been very successful for them.

I can say that I've probably sold more copies of the English-language version of My Life with Master to customers in Germany than to any other non-English speaking country.

Paul
"[My Life with Master] is anything but a safe game to have designed. It has balls, and then some. It is as bold, as fresh, and as incisive  now as it was when it came out." -- Gregor Hutton

Jarkov

I see. If you would be interested nevertheless, I'd be offering the same (also a fan, and also a native German speaker). I know that My Life with Master has been reviewed on German blogs and gaming pages as well, and I think that you might sell even more copies of MLwM in Germany if you offered a German translation too - seeing as at least the Finnish are notoriously good with English, and a translation has helped there.

Even if you still had to advertise the game in English, the convenience to buy it in their native language might still attract more customers. Knowing the German gaming scene, while about half speaks and reads English more than sufficiently, the other half is normally frightened by the prospect to read an entire document like MLwM in it (which tends to hinder discussions about gaming theory more than a bit in the usual German forums).

Anyways, I'd be more than happy to do a translation..

Paul Czege

I can't say I'm not tempted. Have you played the game?

Paul
"[My Life with Master] is anything but a safe game to have designed. It has balls, and then some. It is as bold, as fresh, and as incisive  now as it was when it came out." -- Gregor Hutton

Jarkov

Jarkov

Actually, definitely five times now, the last one just yesterday.

Jarkov

So, are you tempted enough, or do you still have doubts?