Travis's Game

Started by buffaloraven, September 14, 2010, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffaloraven

Working Title: The Fall of Granada.

Pitch: In 1492, Castillians and other Europeans destroyed the last of the Berber Muslim kingdoms on the Iberian Peninsula, Granada.  The 'great' Reconquista of Spain was complete.  As the kingdom fell, many Muslims escaped.  Some fled by sea, some by land.  Now it's your turn to play through their story.  Pick from one of four archetypes and work your way through the deserts of Northern Africa, trying to reach the seat of friendly Muslim power in Cairo.  You will forge ahead to find hope, but remember your past and seek revenge.  Can you change history, or will the memory of doomed Granada be too much?

Elements: Desert, City, and Edge.  Edge is being used more in an 'edge of civilization' way.

Mechanics: Hope and Revenge will be dice-powered mechanics that work on a bidding system.  More later.

Influences:  Apocalypse World for character creation.  Not sure for others.

Sean Nittner

Yummy yummy revenge mechanics, sounds cool.  I dig the Apoc Character sheet handouts as well, might use that as a model myself.

I like the setting as well, going to give a historical pitch in the game (like Monsegur 1244) or just put in some evocative bits and leave the details to the GM/Players?
Sean Nittner

Narrative Control - Host - www.narrativecontrol.com
Good Omens - GM and Convention Organizer - www.goodomensgames.com
Big Bad Con - Producer - www.bigbadcon.com

buffaloraven

Yeah, I'm debating that.  I kind of want to make it simple, and outline based on history and if people want to fantasy it up, awesome.  On the other hand...I love the idea of barbaric Castillians on Dragons, clever sphinxes hiding treasure, and Djinn's popping in at terrible times.

Sean Nittner

Nice, I totally dug the Mythic Europe setting for Ars Magica, sounds like it could be cool here. 

One concern though is that fantasy can start marking human issues less relevant.  Who cares about the army at our gates that will kill the warriors and commit atrocities upon the civilians when you've got a dragon to just burn em all?
Sean Nittner

Narrative Control - Host - www.narrativecontrol.com
Good Omens - GM and Convention Organizer - www.goodomensgames.com
Big Bad Con - Producer - www.bigbadcon.com

buffaloraven

Yeah, at this point definetly leaving mythic stuff out, even though it's cool.

Mechanics cleaned up a bit.

Hope/Revenge for PCs, Hate for the GMs Antagonists.