Kevin's Game Thread

Started by Kevin Allen Jr, September 12, 2010, 08:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Allen Jr

So my first steps where whipping up an introduction and a mood board, we'll see where this goes:

"560 horses rage across the scrub plain, belching fire, kicking rocks and tar, and burning hard through both day and night. These hoses stand yolked to the steel chassis of a '68 corvette L88. A white hot rocket born not in the fires of hell, but from a place far more damned. Detroit. America. The land of the free, home of the depraved.

At the helm of this great beast is a man with little regard for that tattered rag of the nation he drives upon. A soldier of fortune without a war. A man who's living depends on that white stallion careening through the landscape at 170 mph. A smuggler. Our hero, Reuben Carlos Ruiz.

In the trunk of 'vette was enough heroin to keep all of Billings Montana strung out till the 4th of July. Last week it was pills for Casper Wyoming. Next week, who knew. If it could be moved and it wasn't supposed to be, Reuben could move it. Guns. Drugs. Back in '73 he had driven a rig from Juarez to Colorado Springs with 10 illegals in the back, they made a room hidden in the crates and played cards while their coyote raced up route 25.

Reuben was runner and these are his stories..."

Frank Tarcikowski

I really loved it up to "Detroit". The mood board, too. The rest, not so much.

- Frank
BARBAREN! - The Ultimate Macho Role Playing Game - finally available in English

Jason Morningstar

Kevin, have you seen "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia"? Because you should! Also Vanishing Point FOR SURE. You are describing the Vanishing Point RPG.

Kevin Allen Jr

yeah, bring me the head is a pretty integral work. In fact in the second mood board that guy in the white suit is, that's a screen grab from the film.

The game is going to owe a huge debt to Peckinpah. I watched Convoy over the weekend, just to be completest and get my trucker talk straight.

Kevin Allen Jr

hey frank,

I'm certainly not married to anything specific in the text. Can you tell me what turned you off?

Frank Tarcikowski

Hm, it was nothing in the wording, it was the gangsta thing. I'm not much into these "drug opera" kind of stories (just my personal taste), but I guess everything is better with a white '68 'vette. :-)

- Frank
BARBAREN! - The Ultimate Macho Role Playing Game - finally available in English

Jason Morningstar

Cool, I recognized the great Warren Oates but didn't know if you just pulled that off the Web or what.

So is this a seventies-flavored thing?

Kevin Allen Jr

I'm probably not going to say in the text when the game occurs, but in my head it's right in the heart of the 70's.

It likely exists in that quasi-modern/late 70's world that Tarantino like's to operate in, but i really don't want players to use things like GPS, Cellphones, or the internet. So may have to hard code it a little bit more.

I may say that the game takes place in the spring of '76, as the nation gears up for the bicentennial. I don't know if that would ever really come into play to mainly, but it might be a nice undertone to paint things with. It's not going to be so much ABOUT the fabric of the nation as simply wrapped in it. I'm not that interested in making a statement about an era, i just want to use it.

Jason Morningstar

Hey, if you can wrap Danger Mountain into the game somehow I'll change The Trucker to The Driver, Reuben Ruiz.

Kevin Allen Jr

Oh, it is ON!

crossovers are the best.

Jason Morningstar

OK, one of the characters is The Driver.

You are just passing through.

Who keeps you here when you should be on the road? How will you tell them how you feel?

What did you bring the villain, and why does that disgust you now?

If that needs to be revised based on Ruiz, let me know.