[Zero ] Dingo for dinner

Started by Ron Edwards, October 08, 2010, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callan S.

Quote from: Ron Edwards on November 08, 2010, 12:31:27 PM
Let's talk about Extreme Vengeance instead.
I'd like to outline something - with a painting, if someone says "I think the girl in the painting is whistfully thinking of freedom in a new land", it's fair enough - even if the author didn't intend that, it's their impression and valid and interesting (to me atleast) to hear as that. But if they say "I think the fram of that picture is 10 inches in width" when it is, with a ruler, it's 20 inches in width, they are just technically wrong. I don't want to tread on anyones impressions in terms of the former when refering to the latter. And if it seems lame to have put up this disclaimer, I'm just trying to be careful - yeah, maybe I do so in a lame way.

In terms of impressions from extreme vengeance - well, I'm a little coloured from having flipped through it again recently. I think it's exciting and vibrant and you can see the authors enthusiasm in the text (which I think is important). However, I find it...hitchcock-esque? If that's even a word? As in it builds up to a strong implication.

Impression wise I find the idea of dropping dice on badguys (how I'd put it) and just getting cooler (more fans!), fun. The valid plausibility cracks of coincidence that'd cause cool twists, fun. I think I forgot to ever use the dramatic build up rule, but "Yah, we PUMPED!" (probably followed by real life high fives around the table in a partial piss take, partial genuine enjoyment of macho-ism), fun. Using slo-mo's, cause I can just envision it in my mind in a cool way, fun (our group invented the matrix dodge well before the movie, simply from rolling a nat 20 to dodge in rifts >:) ! ). There are more bits I'm forgetting at the mo, which would be fun as well, I think.

I want to play, I wanna do 'it', but in a way the technical issue I outlined in my thread breaks my heart on that. I imagine if I'd watched alot of action movies recently, or if someone was a big action movie fan, by sheer mental osmosis the other part could fall into place. But starting up without that material? But that's getting onto the technical part.

Ron Edwards

Callan, that's a great post and a great topic, but please re-post it in the EV thread.
Thanks, Ron