IMPORTANT FOR START-UP

Started by Ron Edwards, December 07, 2010, 03:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hi everyone,

I would like to import current threads from First Thoughts into this new forum. However! Threads here now have to include a link to some useable game document for readers. So the best thing to do is, start a new thread, with the link, and include links to your older thread or threads which are currently in First Thoughts in the inactive section.

I did import the most recent Playtesting threads. They will be subject to the same rule - note that in my Doctor Chaos thread, I just made such a document available.

Best, Ron

Erik Weissengruber

Does "useable" include things like a prospective charcter sheet, conflict managment tools (like the playboards for "Agon" or "With Great Power")?

Ron Edwards

Hi Erik,

The definition is necessarily broad. If a game requires such things and they can't be substituted for playtesting purposes with scratched notes or cards made with scissors, then they'd be welcome. But what I'm talking about is some kind of rules document which allows me to see what the author of the post is talking about, external to the post. In many ways it's an indicator of the author's seriousness - does there exist, or does there not exist, an actual game in design?

I am not, however, requiring that the entirety of one's current work be made publicly available. But something, and something substantial to ground the points being raised for discussion.

Best, Ron

Erik Weissengruber

Got it.

A document that can be parsed and commented upon.  All with some feeling of those activities actually possibly contributing to the production of a game.

dmkdesigns

Quote from: Ron Edwards on December 07, 2010, 04:11:59 PM
Hi Erik,

The definition is necessarily broad. If a game requires such things and they can't be substituted for playtesting purposes with scratched notes or cards made with scissors, then they'd be welcome. But what I'm talking about is some kind of rules document which allows me to see what the author of the post is talking about, external to the post. In many ways it's an indicator of the author's seriousness - does there exist, or does there not exist, an actual game in design?

I am not, however, requiring that the entirety of one's current work be made publicly available. But something, and something substantial to ground the points being raised for discussion.

Best, Ron

Hi Ron,

Where do people post when they have questions about concepts that don't involve actual rules and just want to get feedback on ideas?

Thanks,
-David-

Ron Edwards

Hi David,

The harsh but not quite accurate answer is, "Some other website." The new configuration of the Forge is now focused on concrete projects. There is no more idea mosh-pit here.

Tempting as it is to deliver only that reply, it's actually not true. The real answer is: post in Actual Play regarding whatever play experiences underly or gave rise to a given idea. So let's say I have some idea about a game I'd like to design, and that's all I have, an idea. Well, to discuss it at the Forge, I need to reflect upon what play-experiences I've had that led to it. Maybe it's a derived form of some interesting rule or experience. Or conversely, maybe it's a reaction to such things, an innovation based on wanting to try it differently. Either way, I can post about the experience in Actual Play and raise the idea as an issue. It's perfectly all right to identify your design goals in such a thread.

Best, Ron