Main Menu

Universalis with kids?

Started by jb.teller4, December 31, 2010, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb.teller4

So this actual play post got me thinking about using Universalis with kids. I have five kids, though only three are old enough to want to play (9 yo boy, 8 yo girl, and 5 yo boy). We haven't played any RPGs yet, though they know I play and have shown some interest.

I've known about Universalis and been interested for awhile, but I just bought it and haven't run it yet. I'm planning on running it with my regular adult group when our current campaign ends in a couple months, but I had already been musing about whether it would work with young kids.

Has anyone here played Universalis with young kids or even just thought about doing it? In the post I linked, the author (jdfristrom) listed some Gimmicks that he used (paraphrased below). Any thoughts on these gimmicks or variations?  Any other Gimmicks, techniques, or suggestions?

• Events and facts are free, but you use d6's for complications so you earn less (1-3 per win).  Loser gets 1 coin per 2 dice, round up.
  • You can spend 1 coin to give a component to another player
  • Don't take the kids' characters away from them

(And feel free to throw out any thoughts on RPGs with kids whether related to Universalis or not).

Thanks,
John B.
John B.