Ronnies 2011, Round One begins!

Started by Ron Edwards, January 01, 2011, 10:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

To submit: send an email to ron@adept-press.com, with your PDF attached; also, submit the same PDF to the 24-hour Game site.

Use two (and only two) of the following terms as central concepts in your game:

soldier skull sword old

Useful advice: one way to do this is to choose two of the terms, and then free-associate new terms or ideas from them. Stay away from the two terms you did not choose.

Reminder: the Solitaire RPG Challenge is independent of the Ronnies. This means you can submit the same game to both events, if it meets the requirements for both. However, you don't have to; meaning, you can submit a game to either one without regard for the requirements of the other. Em and I will not consult regarding submitted games during the evaluation time.

Best, Ron

Ron Edwards

First entry has arrived! Knights of Twilight, by Davide Losito, using soldier and sword. He also gets special Caffeinated Insomniac Berserker recognition and I hope he is currently taking a nap.

Best, Ron

Ron Edwards

Willow Palecek, Sword of the Skull, using sword and skull
Cliff Horowitz, Keen Edge of History, using old and sword

All four terms are now in play - very cool.

I'll be updating the entries daily rather than one-by-one, so don't get worried if you turn yours in and don't see a post here right away.

Also, an important reminder: unlike the previous Ronnies or most other similar events, this time I'll close the entry period after a certain number of entries. When I get the ninth entry, I'll post to announce it and set a new deadline of 24 hours from the moment I post. (This is a sanity-saving device I learned the hard way.)

Best, Ron

Ron Edwards

I had forgotten how much straight-up flippin' fun this is. So far, we have ...

soldier skull
Cold Soldier by Bret Gillan

old soldier
The War of the Sheaves by Zac Dettwyler
Facing the End by Lee Hammons

sword skull
Sword of the Skull by Willow Palecek

sword soldier
Knights of Twilight by Davide Losito

old sword
Keen Edge of History by Clifford Horowitz

old skull
Demilich by Noam Rosen

That's seven! Two more and I give the 24-hours-left signal.

Best, Ron

Baxil

Wow, so much for my hopes that I'd have a nice, quiet Friday evening to start my game design.  At this rate you'll be closing Round 1 midweek.

Is there a ballpark schedule for Round Two?  I'd love to jump in later if I miss this one.

Ron Edwards

I feel the same way! My plan is to start a new round each month. I have the terms ready and everything, and with a much more limited number of entries given this format, I can do it without burning out.

Well, we're up to nine. So everyone: the entry period is now going to close exactly 24 hours from the listed time of this post.

soldier skull
Cold Soldier by Bret Gillan
Diary of a Skull Soldier, by Callan S

old soldier
The War of the Sheaves by Zac Dettwyler
Facing the End by Lee Hammons
Veterans, by Rush Wright

sword skull

sword soldier
Knights of Twilight by Davide Losito

old sword
Keen Edge of History by Clifford Horowitz

old skull
Demilich by Noam Rosen

The first three submissions were the "sword" titles, so I got the early impression that sword stuff might be a major focus, but skulls and soldiers pulled ahead after that.

Best, Ron

Ron Edwards

Aannnnndd ... that's it. Submission period is now over.

I have worked hard on the write-ups so far, so I'll begin posting my feedback (and the Ronnies awards) soon.

Best, Ron

Final list (I'm a little rushed and between one location and another, so I might have missed one; I'll update if necessary):

soldier skull
Cold Soldier, by Bret Gillan
Diary of a Skull Soldier, by Callan Sweet
Death's Head, by Rudy Johnson

old soldier
The War of the Sheaves, by Zac Dettwyler
Facing the End, by Lee Hammons
Veterans, by Rush Wright
untitled jeepform, by Ben Lehman

sword skull
The Sword and the Skull by Troy Costisick