Printers: who to use?

Started by Ben Lehman, February 21, 2011, 03:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

Hey, folks. I'm nearing the end of a project and I'm realizing I have no clue which printers are any good anymore. The last "who's a good printer" thread was over a year ago. Can anyone who has published a book recently help me out with a recommendation?

The particular project I'm working on is digest sized, saddle stitched (probably), color cover and B+W interior. Probably around 36 pages or so. I'd love to get the costs under about $1.50 a book or so.

Ron, who did you use for Sw/M? I like that book.

yrs--
--Ben

Ron Edwards

Hi Ben,

I stayed with Publishers Graphics after doing some searching around for alternatives last year. They did a good job of busting out multiple titles for me this past January. I haven't really made any rigorous comparison, but the illustrations and text in the books they do always seem crisp and clean to me. I did find some companies that looked pretty good, like United Graphics, and I might try them on a project to see how it goes.

Best, Ron

Nathan P.

I've used 360 Digital for my recent printing needs, and they've been fantastic on service and price.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
I design | ndp design
I blog | Games, Design & Game Design
I tweet | @ndpaoletta

Ron Edwards

Hey Nathan,

Do you use their fulfillment service? Publishers Graphics has a service like that now, but I haven't used it, staying with the more ordinary but occasionally aggravating 100-book runs.

Best, Ron

Nathan P.

I don't use their fulfillment service, no. I still fulfill direct and via IPR.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
I design | ndp design
I blog | Games, Design & Game Design
I tweet | @ndpaoletta

Ron Edwards

Hey Ben,

For reference and comparison, S/Lay w/Me was $1.13 per book for the last print run. That's a black-and-white cover and a few less pages than what you describe, so I doubt you'd get that low a bid from the printer I used. Could they get it under $1.50, though? I don't know.

Best, Ron

Ben Lehman

Ron: That is mighty tantalizing. We'll see what the quote says.

yrs--
--Ben

Elizabeth

I've used 360digitalbooks.com for Blowback and everything since, and they are fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. Incredibly low prices, especially on color, and they don't skimp on the quality. I can't recommend them enough.

Pelgrane

I'll second Publisher's Graphics. Once files are uploaded and you've had your first samples, it's easy to reorder. They are slow, reasonably priced and reliable.