Project Exodium

Started by killxo, April 05, 2011, 04:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel36

Good, because D&D is very complicated.

So what is your philosophy? What are you aiming for with Exodium?

killxo

Quote from: Daniel36 on August 19, 2011, 05:24:21 PM
Good, because D&D is very complicated.

So what is your philosophy? What are you aiming for with Exodium?

sorry for the late reply.

well, i have alot of ideas in my head. they're all very different from what i've experienced as a gamer, and are partially influenced by them. so i want other to enjoy these things i've thought up, because i enjoy them myself and just because its something new and fresh that i think is different from the majority of everything else. so there's a personal side to it that is very strong and is one thing that makes me want to make the game; i'm not only making it as something people can play but as something for myself. i just like being creative and to think up crazy stuff :)

secondly, this is a long term project for me. i hope one day to possibly pitch the game idea to a company and have it made into  series of video games and what not. i believe the exodium universe, when completed, will have a lot of potential. a good example is the warhammer 40k universe. W40k has war gaming, novels, a 3d animated movie, RTS video games and now soon there's gonna be a FPS game. i feel that Exodium can work the same way in that the universe can be used in many ways to create entertainment. the original concept was a MMO that involved territory-take-overs, mass PvP, and story-driven instanced dungeons and lengthy story-quests.

another thing to is that Exodium is my attempt to create something that i see as being kind of..perfect? i like to try new things and do something no one has done before. hard sci-fi is a great realm for creating amazing novels and stories, many stories that never see the light of day in games. so Exodium tries to combine elements of hard sci-fi and fantasy to create a universe that is explained through a evolutionary process, uplift and etc. but species can use magic and there's wild beasts and things called Astral beings. i love hard sci-fi and fantasy and wanted to try and bridge the two of them to make something very cool and unique.

i also want exodium to be something fun and quick to play. i think it would work well as something people could play on a tablet and group up with friends on weekends or after class or after work and play for a few hours through missions and quests and enjoy themselves from the combat and dialogue. i love the SRPG games like Final fantasy tactics and i think exodium could fit well in that genre.

i hope i answered your questions. i kind of jumped around a bit lol

Daniel36

Well, that seems as a good enough, solid philosophy. I read your background a little. I like what I read, though I did notice quite a couple of typos and such, but that is something to worry about later.

I didn't really get the World Eater deal. Do they literally eat worlds? Or is it more like depleting the resources like Tyranids?

Anyways, my tip for you is, focus on specifics first. Take time to flesh out the human race first. Why are they called Zev now? Then flesh out the first world they found. How does the difference with Earth affect the people living there? Then flesh out the alien race, etcetera. Don't try to write it all at the same time. Divide it into manageable chunks.

To mirror to WH40K, when it was first released more than half of the races didn't exist yet. Perhaps they were hinted at, but they weren't what 40K focused on. All of those were fleshed out and then released later on, after the original races were sufficiently fleshed out.

killxo

Quote from: Daniel36 on August 24, 2011, 05:51:34 AM
Well, that seems as a good enough, solid philosophy. I read your background a little. I like what I read, though I did notice quite a couple of typos and such, but that is something to worry about later.

I didn't really get the World Eater deal. Do they literally eat worlds? Or is it more like depleting the resources like Tyranids?

Anyways, my tip for you is, focus on specifics first. Take time to flesh out the human race first. Why are they called Zev now? Then flesh out the first world they found. How does the difference with Earth affect the people living there? Then flesh out the alien race, etcetera. Don't try to write it all at the same time. Divide it into manageable chunks.

To mirror to WH40K, when it was first released more than half of the races didn't exist yet. Perhaps they were hinted at, but they weren't what 40K focused on. All of those were fleshed out and then released later on, after the original races were sufficiently fleshed out.

@ the world eater campaign comment. off the top of my head i'm quite positive i described the race as having a mega-ship that is used to gain resources from large asteroids. but its so powerful that it can "devour" or" eat" planets and obtain their far greater amount and diverse types of materials to use in rebuilding their race. the conflict begins as they encounter the Insane Legion of Wal's planet and they ensue in combat. the player's role is that they take on a task given by a faction, i forget the name atm, and they are meant to "resolve" the conflict between the world eaters and the ILW. the player can resolve it anyway they want, as other races, namely this faction, is going to clean up and profit from the resources gained and possible enslavement of any people left. so you can aid the demise of either side or both sides.

@ the zev comment. The Zev are the last humans whom defended themselves on their home planet. whether it was called earth or not, i havent figured out. but that was their last bastion that they fled too as the interstellar war was ending. overtime the humans changed as they invested heavily in new technologies and essentially wanted to prepare for any other race similar to the progenitors, or the progenitors themselves, to come into contact with and fight again. so they started going crazy with scientific development and their bodies and DNA became warped and very different from when they were still "human". in short; over time the humans changed drastically due to scientific research and are now called the Zev; they aren't human anymore.

i agree that i should focus on certain things and flesh them out completely. i may seem "all over the place" and the reason for that is when i get a good rush of creativity i just right it down and its always different and varies. but its generally always good and that sort of how i've done things so far.

thanks again for your comments and critique