Upcoming: a few weeks in Sweden

Started by Ron Edwards, June 08, 2011, 11:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hi everyone,

Again, I'm planning for a big trip to Sweden with my family, this time from about June 22 through July 12. For those of you who don't know, my wife is Swedish-born and a dual citizen, and my children are bilingual and dual citizens as well. I speak Swedish well enough to instruct toddlers not to bite one another and similar things, and to read Totte books, but I'm weak on vocabulary concerning adult matters. My wife's immediate family are here in the States but all her other relationships including about a thousand second-and-third cousins are in Sweden.

I'm writing this to invite possible visits and friendly meetings while I'm there. The current plan is to spend the first week in and around Norrköping and Åby, mostly with family and outings to places like Kolmården. The second week will be spent in the Archipelago, out in a little island very far into the Baltic. Unfortunately, that's probably the most inconvenient for visitors but also one of the best times for visiting, so I'm not sure what to say about that ... And the third week will be spent mostly in Mellerud, at a cabin by the big lake.

It may seem a little rude to intrude upon what is obviously a very family-centered vacation, but the fact is that Cecilia and I both like to include friends in family activities, and sometimes we give one another breaks and let the other go free with friends for a while. Meetings for lunch or dinner are especially welcome. Also, in all three places, there is at least a little bit of scope for guests to stay with us for a night or two if they don't mind slightly informal sleeping arrangements, and our evenings are often free for conversation and gaming because the children go to sleep early. As long as we plan in advance, visits and meetings will be easy.

There is one more concrete issue which I need help with. We will spend our final night (July 11, I think) in Stockholm or at any rate somewhere with easy access to the Arlandia airport for the 12th, and currently, we haven't made very good plans for that. If anyone can help find reasonable accomodations for two parents and three active small children, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not necessarily requesting a home invasion, but even the recommendation of a decent hotel based on local knowledge would be very helpful.

Best, Ron

Ron Edwards

Response has been great - we are now settled for the crucial pre-departure place to stay!

There's still plenty for room for setting up meetings and visits. Send me an email if you're interested.

Best, Ron

John S

I'm very glad to hear that you found a place to stay!