[Dresden Files] It‘s not Zilch play, but what is it?

Started by Frank Tarcikowski, June 05, 2011, 10:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callan S.

Yeah, just that it's one of those quirky 'The GM gets to make that call, but the GM genuinely believes the rule text gets to make that call' things, so the GM makes his call unconciously (effectively) even though wide awake at the table.

I think I've failed at that myself at times. It's a skill to build up to recognise when the rules have handed you the ball - I wouldn't lay any moral blame on that as much as I wouldn't do so for someone who can't get a basketball through a hoop. Just a skill to develop.

QuoteI don't allow the rules to tyrannize my games.
Terror is the mother of invention.

That said, in alot of traditional games what are stated as the rules by someone is generally the GM stating that. And using the ambiguous wording of rules to apply them at will. So if you mean you don't allow the GM/one person at a table of many people to tyrannize the group activity, I get that - if the means of stopping that is by written rules. Otherwise it becomes you tyrannicizing the game (if tyrannicizing is a word...) instead of the other dude doing it.

pawsplay

Quote from: Callan S. on July 06, 2011, 06:20:16 AM

QuoteI don't allow the rules to tyrannize my games.
Terror is the mother of invention.

"Fear is the mind-killer."

That said, in alot of traditional games what are stated as the rules by someone is generally the GM stating that. And using the ambiguous wording of rules to apply them at will. So if you mean you don't allow the GM/one person at a table of many people to tyrannize the group activity, I get that - if the means of stopping that is by written rules. Otherwise it becomes you tyrannicizing the game (if tyrannicizing is a word...) instead of the other dude doing it.

What I meant was that the GM should not abdicate their role as the interpreter of the rules. It is asking the rules too much to get them to fully interpret the imaginary world without a human intercessor. I'm not advocating fudging, or play by fiat, or any other scenario where the rules are abandoned. However, the rules are only the rules. If rescuing a cat from a tree is something that cannot even be attempted, I hesitate to call what you are doing a role-playing game.

Frank Tarcikowski

I guess he just made a not-so-good spot ruling. He was in the middle of moderating an action scene with seven eager players, so I guess that can be forgiven.

Thanks everybody for your contributions. I think we've come about as far as we can in understanding the Werecat player, so I'd suggest we wrap up this thread here.

- Frank
BARBAREN! - The Ultimate Macho Role Playing Game - finally available in English