Repost: Evil High: Would-be Supervillains, in High School

Started by Sp4m, July 13, 2011, 11:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sp4m

This post was originally placed in Game Dev. This is the more appropriate place.
I do not know how to delete the original, otherwise I would.

Hello World!
www.evil-high.com

This is my first "fifth" post to these forums, and my first second post discussing this project after 7 years, so let's see if we can make some music together.

Players are would-be super villains in high school, and have weak powers and relatively meager resources. (the greatest asset must always be their minds).

Players start the game by constructing an Evil Plan based off of "Current Events" handed out by the GM, and pulled from the real-world headlines.

Game world designed off of golden/silver era comics, with colorful costumes, catch phrases, and a rich culture of villainy.

Game is run like a television show PG-13 rating, no one gets killed, sexual content is tame, frequent one-session subplots.

All players have Crushes and Enemies within their team.

Reputation system allows/rewards players for gossiping about each other

System for physical/mental/social combat

Evil high is an RPG I have been running and testing since 2003. I've got a hundred written pages on the topic and at this point it needs editing, a bit of caulk, some glossy paint, and some more artwork. I'm not sure what my publishing options are. I'd like to put together a final document and actually make some money, but what I really want is to see others having the kind of fun I've been having.

I can imagine it being released in a web-accessible format, as a living document on it's site, taking clever ideas and forum posts into it's heart. I can also imagine selling a softcover at game conventions.

I just started running my class of 2011 game and sketchy "brand new" character system aside, the game is starting to feel pretty complete.

I'm sure some of you have gone through this process with your ideas, what do you think? What should be my first step?

Mike Sugarbaker

Your first step should be to stop playtesting.

Your second step should be to come back here, probably to the Game Development forum, to actually talk about the nuts and bolts of your game, and of other people's. Community is good for design.

The steps about how to publish are, I'm sorry to say, probably still a ways off... although the living-document plan is pretty on target.
Publisher/Co-Editor, OgreCave
Caretaker, Planet Story Games
Content Admin, Story Games Codex