Previous topic - Next topic

MrWillis

I need some opinions of this concept setting I've been thinking of:

https://docs.google.com/?tab=oo&authuser=0#home

I'm just wonering about a few specific things:
-Is it a good settign idea.
-Does it sound too much like Exalted?
-Should I continue with this setting?

I know that setting sounds highly unoriginal but it is just a basic overview of the concept.

Ron Edwards

Hi,

The trouble is, you're basically asking for an opinion poll. That doesn't tend to work well at this site. It would help a lot for you to express what you want and like out of the setting, or have wanted and didn't get from other settings you've played. You brought up Exalted - why not merely use that setting, for instance? The answer to that question can really help us provide you with meaningful feedback.

Best, Ron

MrWillis

Quote from: Ron Edwards on July 19, 2011, 01:07:54 PM
Hi,

The trouble is, you're basically asking for an opinion poll. That doesn't tend to work well at this site. It would help a lot for you to express what you want and like out of the setting, or have wanted and didn't get from other settings you've played. You brought up Exalted - why not merely use that setting, for instance? The answer to that question can really help us provide you with meaningful feedback.

Best, Ron

Well what I want out of this setting is that I want a setting where the players are the heroes of this desperate war against all odds, where the good guys are not the standard dwarves, elves, gnomes, and etc. but humans with their own cultural background, flaws, wants, and desires. Also I want the setting to be mostly based on mythology of Scandinavia and Eastern Europe areas, where I really don't see a whole lot of that mythology used. Yet at that same time I want In Hiemalia to be this strange foreign land that really draws players in.

About Exalted, I was just wondering whether my setting was too much like it, but now that I think of it, my setting is not really like it especially when considered the technology levels are consider since people can use muskets, along with other seventeenth century technology.

So basically it is not that I dislike other settings, or find them bad, it is just I want a setting like this.

Mark Truman

Quote from: MrWillis on July 19, 2011, 08:31:56 PM
So basically it is not that I dislike other settings, or find them bad, it is just I want a setting like this.

I think we all feel this way about various games.  I like a lot of White Wolf settings, for example, but that doesn't really mean anything to an urban fantasy game I might personally design.

The real question for me is this: What do you want your game to be about?  A setting is awesome, but what is the driving vision of your game?  Why does your game need to exist in the world?  What kinds of stories would people tell using the system?

If the answers to those questions are the same answers that the developers of Exalted would give, then you've got a problem.  If you've got fundamentally different answers, you probably are fine.  :)
Eternity is coming!  Let us know that you think of our sneak peaks.

Proud member of the Indie Game Developer Network.  Currently running: HotB, Eternity

Mike Sugarbaker

Yeah, if your setting's too much like Exalted it won't matter, as long as your game does a massively better job of making players feel like heroes in a desperate war. Fortunately, this won't be difficult. :-)
Publisher/Co-Editor, OgreCave
Caretaker, Planet Story Games
Content Admin, Story Games Codex