Stregoneria Going Into Print.

Started by Stregheria, September 14, 2011, 07:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stregheria

Sorry Ron to post again but I needed to get this last piece of news out: I've taken time off work to finish my book and have been working my socks off implementing people's suggestions from around the web. The book has been gutted and completely reformatted and the website revamped. Version 1.09 is available now and this will be the last version I will release before it goes into print in about 4 weeks time.

I'm going to proofread the document a second time before handing it over to the print company. Version 1.09 has better table visuals and placement, as well as numerous new illustrations throughout the book. I've probably spent close to 40 hours this last week getting Stregoneria to this point and I would like as many of you as possible to download it and take a look.

Please comment on as many aspects of the pdf as you can: layout, rules etc and also feel free to let me know what you think of the spruced up website.

Thanks again. :)
Stregoneria RPG

Daniel36

Don't proofread it yourself, you won't find many of the possible mistakes. Let someone else do it. But congrats on the print run!

daranp

I second that. I had a proof reader look over my manuscript and they found loads of things I'd missed. More importantly, I wished I'd had them take a second look after layout. Since printing, I've discovered a number of things that now make me cringe. Proof readers are worth thier weight in gold pieces!

Spot the deliberate mistake?

Stregheria

Yep, thier not their. ;)

Yes you're right, I know, but it boils down to how much money I want to lose. The way the pnp rpg industry is, I'll be lucky to shift those 50 copies. I do have one confirmed sale though (woo, I'm gonna be rich! ;D )

I've proofread it once and some other people have looked through it. I'm hoping if I then proofread it a second time any mistakes that may be left will be obscure grammatical errors that noone other than a language expert will notice.

If a proofreader is reasonable to hire however, I would consider it. The problem is that if I hire a professional artist, a layout dsigner, a proofreader and who knows who else, I'll end up in a situation where i'm virtually paying customers to buy my book I'll have spent so much money on it.

My original goal was to write an indie rpg with an emphasis on the rules, with the appearance being secondary. Judging by a lot the feedback I've received, it seems that most people are more concerned with the aesthetics of it. :( With older games you got a black and white book with a few dodgy pictures and that was it; you had to let your imagination do the rest. I was hoping people might appreciate the "indie" approach to my work, but it seems that indie or not, most people want something lavish.

I honestly feel that I've done the best I can with the resources available. This book was not supposed to cost mega bucks to create.
Stregoneria RPG

Stregheria

Btw, if anyone wants to reserve a copy I'll give them, a 10% discount off the price and everyoe that buys a copy will get a funky free set of oblivion dice. The game is priced at £12.50/$19.75, a bargain if you ask me ;)

Anyone that does want to put their name down and get the discount, let me know here or message me at the game's site www.stregoneriarpg.com. No payment needs to be made before the game is available, and people can always decide to back out when it's released, I'm just trying to gauge the amount of people that might be interested.

*Psst* please don't tell Ron I made that announcement, he won't like it. ;D
Stregoneria RPG

Stregheria

Before the jokes roll in, no I didn't proofread that last post and I can see it has grammatical errors. :D
Stregoneria RPG

Kyles Games

How are you doing the printing, just out of curiosity?

Stregheria

Stregoneria RPG

Kyles Games

Quote from: Stregheria on September 15, 2011, 11:43:14 AM
I'm using a small POD company.

No name? I'm hoping to get a print run of Orchestra done by December.

Kyles Games

Wow, they look and sound totally awesome! Worth paying shipping from continental US awesome.

I don't suppose you can get a referral bonus?

Stregheria

Their prices are very reasonable and they have been very helpful. I don't think they offer a referral bonus, I didn't see anything about that on their site.
Stregoneria RPG

Stregheria

I've had a bit of a brainstorm...

I've decided to add a work in progress page to my website where the pdf for my latest Stregoneria supplement can be downloaded (entitled 'Compendium I.') When I say work in progress, I mean just that. It is a bare bones document that I'm slowly adding to which I've decided to let everybody have access to so they can see how I'm getting on and to offer suggestions as it's being written, rather than after it's finished.

This will eventually contain rules additions/alternatives that I feel didn't really belong in the core rulebook and even some things that I might have forgotten about first time around. It's not intended as a large body of work and will be around 25 pages I'm guessing. I'm hoping to have it finished by the time I finish the second proofread of the main Stregoneria rulebook. This probably won't be sold commercially but will remain free to download for those that want additional material for the game.

As always, feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
Stregoneria RPG