[Levity - Pride & Prejudice]: Looking for feedback

Started by rgrassi, September 28, 2011, 08:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgrassi

Hi Forgers. First of all, sorry for my english. There may be some mistakes because I'm from Italy.
I'm writing this post to share the status and ideas about the game I'm currently writing, hoping for feedback, criticism and so on...
I'm writing a document to summarizes info and rules for this game but I wanted to have your precious feedback first.
The game title is "Pride And Prejudice" (no relation with the book) and is for 2 players.
The very basic idea behind that is to write together a story of a couple (in the most generic sense, for example, animal-animal is good too) of characters through the use of phrases of Pride (i.e. things that one character thinks that "have been / are / will be" true for him/her) and Prejudice (i.e. things that one character thinks that "have been / are / will be" true for the other character).

The basic procedure is this one:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A - PREPARATION
1) The two players set the title for 7 scenes (the last one MUST be "Ending")

2) The two players agree about who are the two protagonists of the story and each player chooses one.

3) The players/characters start with the following characteristics:
Pride = 0
Prejudice = 0
Tokens = 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B - The first 6 Scenes
1) For the first six scenes there's a dominant storyteller that moves the story of the couple forward.

2) The Storyteller may narrate whatever he/she wants.
2a) There's no way for the other player to contrast him/her except when the narration involves directly his/her character. When this happens the Storyteller MUST change the narration until the other player agrees.
2b) In every moment, the other player can stop the narration calling a "Scene End" and going to the next step.

3)  Each player states a statement of Pride and a statement of Prejudice in the form of (Pride: "I am sure that I 'have been / are / will be'", Prejudice: "I am sure that YOU 'have been / are / will be'". The following contraints apply:
3a) You can't play a statement that has been already played.
3b)  You can't falsify a statement that has already won.

4) The players roll 1d6 for each statement and add the Pride Value (for the Pride statement) and the Prejudice Value (for the Prejudice statement).
4b) AFTER the roll, the players may use two tokens for: - Raise or Lower the result. The statement with higher result wins.

5) The winning statement determines what "has been / is / will be" true in the fiction. The losing statement determines what "has never been / is not / will never be" true in the fiction.

6) The players get one token for each losing statement. The Pride Value and Prejudice Value are modified according to the result. If the player loses in Pride than the new value is "Pride (before the roll) - 1". If the Player wins in Pride the new value is "Pride (before the roll) + 1". The same is for prejudice,
c - The 7th scene
1) Each player states his/her desired final (that must keep into account what has been played before).
2) Each player rolss 1d6 and adds his Pride Value, Prejudice Value and TWICE the tokens.
3) The player with the highest value narrates the final.

I'm going to write a brief example of game derived from this procedure.
In the meanwhile your feedback is welcome.
Levity d6 - Interactive Storytelling and Roleplaying System
http://www.levity-rpg.net