What different games do WELL.

Started by Iota, October 11, 2011, 09:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

My wife and I are thinking about getting back into RPGs, but we're a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there.  I've always toyed with the idea of making my own system, but that leaves my wife with nothing much to do in the meantime. I recently came across the idea that while no RPG is good at everything, certain RPGs are really good at one particular thing.  World of Darkness games are good at things D&D isn't and Polaris is good at things Burning Wheel isn't. Out of those I'd only heard of D&D before two weeks ago, so I need some help getting up-to-speed on what's out there.

In your experience, what is a particular RPG that is better at what it does than other similar RPGs?  Or, to put it another way, what is a quality you enjoy in an RPG, and what is the best RPG that you've found with that quality?

Ron Edwards

Hello and welcome!

Unfortunately this isn't a very good thread topic for the Forge. As written, it might do a lot better at RPG.net or Story Games.

For here, and I encourage this, please add a post (right here in this thread) about any game you've played in the past, specifically, the actual experience you had with it, whether a single session or the whole thing or whatever. Let us know what you liked and didn't like.

That information will serve very well to address your concern about what sort of game to check out now.

Best, Ron