The Matrix Unplugged [Text-Based MMO]

Started by CipherJonathan, February 19, 2012, 05:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CipherJonathan

Hi all!

I've been working on a Matrix-themed, browser/text-based MMORPG using PHP/MySQL for a few months now, and I recently released a public alpha demo. It currently has a small member community, and the bulk of the gameplay is in place at the moment. If you're interested in signing up and helping us to alpha test, we'd love to have you! You can find us at http://www.matrixunplugged.co.uk .

A few of the things which I've implemented so far include:

• In-game Events and Messages
  • Player profiles (you can browse the profile pages of other players, and are given options to send messages, send cash and even initiate combat).
  • The Training System (allowing players to train their core stats: Combat, Coding, Hacking and Tactics).
  • The Missions System (allowing players to carry out tasks in exchange for Items, Money or Experience Points).
  • Basic in-game combat (still work-in-progress).
  • Public Item Markets.
  • NPCs (Exiles, Redpills, Agents etc.) + Full NPC Combat.
  • In-Game Forums.
  • Teleportation through District Hardlines (allowing the user to travel to various other areas within MegaCity).

Here're some in-game screenshots:

This is the current Explore page, linking to all of the major game features which aren't directly part of the core (since all the core features can be accessed through the sidebar).

This is a snapshot of the combat system, which I recently streamlined. The graphical health bars are new, but I still have a number of ideas about how we can make the combat much more meaty. Still, it's fun to see me getting completely beaten up by Morpheus!

This is the beta version of the selection interface for Advanced Training Programs. Basically, these allow the user to learn new skills and improve their stats, in exchange for a small amount of in-game money. Advanced Training Programs tend to yield much higher stat bonuses than normal training, but they can take several days to complete (depending on the program).

This is the Hardline Teleportation system, allowing players to travel between various parts of MegaCity via the Hardline Phone network, for a small fee. Right now, there are only 4 areas, but I may add more. Different areas of MegaCity present different challenges to face, different NPCs to interact with, new things to learn and different items to purchase. This whole system is still in Beta, however.

Those are some of the main features which are available at present for anyone who signs up for our alpha. Updates are coming pretty quickly, so there's almost always something new to see whenever you log in. Registering for our alpha is completely free and only takes seconds. We appreciate any and all feedback which you can provide!

Have a great day!