Right name for the Right way

Started by Hasimir0, February 12, 2012, 07:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hasimir0

I need a bit of help in defining 3 terms for my game (Tactical Ops)
Think of them as attributes you roll if you make your PC behave in a certain way.

At the moment thay are defined as Force and Finesse and Caution , but I'm not happy with them at all, they produce quite some confusion at the table.
So here is what they should represent ... hope you guys can help me figure out some fitting names:

One is for when your PC acts in an open, simple and straightforward way to reach his goal.
ex.. I want to hit you = I walk towards you and punch you in the face

One is for when your PC acts in a more convoluted and complex way, maybe performing a little chain of tasks or intermediary steps to reach the final goal.
ex.. I want to hit you = I cut the rope holding the chandelier dangling over your head

One is for when your PC acts in a defensive way, he's covering his ass first and foremost while still trying to do something useful toward his main goal.
ex.. I want to hit you = I take cover, defending myself and soaking up blows until there is an opening and then I strike you

NOTE: I almost forgot!
Don't get deceived by my simple examples... all 3 attributes are meant to be equally usable in a Physical, Mental or Social arena to perform any kind of action.

So Force is also meant to fit a way of performing a mental actions (like sheer number crunching or straight-line logic) as well as a social actions (like going right to the girl and say "Hey Sexy").

Just to clarify ^_^
Alessandro Piroddi
Tactical Ops RPG : Blogger / G+ / Facebook

Sp4m

how about

Direct
Indirect
Defensive

I can consider cases where "defensive" is part of an "indirect" plan, how does that work out?

Hasimir0

If you are defending yourself, be it in a simple or complex way, you are defending.

about the names... I would like to find a somehow "more natural" way of calling them.

As in I'm using Physical Force or Mental Caution or Social Finesse ... but with terms that better describe what I'm actually meaning, as explained before.

I know, I want a drunk wife and a full casket ... but one can try :-)
Alessandro Piroddi

Callan S.

If it's possible to win at such a question, I think Marshall did!

Hasimir0

Quote from: Marshall Burns on February 13, 2012, 02:07:56 AM
Get Some, Look Sharp, Lie Low.

Eh eh eh, they sound terrific :)
But I need something more intuitive ... it has to relay (or remind) to the Player "what I mean in the verbose text" just by reading the word.

From a G+ poll the most acclaimed options are:
1) Direct
2) ???
3) Defensive

the number 1 seems to be pretty much settled.
number 2 is giving the most problems ... any help is VERY welcome
number 3 works but is not pretty ... could still use some work ;)
Alessandro Piroddi

way

you Strike, you Maneuver, and you Pull Through

jalinde

For option two, is Roundabout an option?

And for option three, Retreat or Withdraw keeps your military jargon and suggests a cautious maneuver to get yourself back and away.

Hasimir0

Thanks everyone for the support, the search is now over :)

The final results are:
- Direct
- Crafty
- Defensive
Alessandro Piroddi

Sintua

Overt
Covert
Defensive?

Or just the direct, indirect, defensive.

thedroid

thedroid

I revise my suggestion:

Cleverness instead of Slyness.

I could also see this working in a martial arts context where different animals represent the different approaches.

Like you could choose turtle, or rat, or lion. There could be way more than three, actually.

dindenver

Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Hasimir0

Quote from: dindenver on February 24, 2012, 03:25:31 PM
Overt
Covert
Tactical
mmm ... I'm giving this option a serious thought -_^
Alessandro Piroddi

storyteller