equating adjectives to numbers

Started by storyteller, March 21, 2012, 04:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyteller

so I see the occasional chart that describes what numbers mean and I have briefly seen while browsing the racks a system based on words, but I wanted to explore how to develop a system not based on numbers, but on word play.

Im thinking perhaps a chart or wheel or deck of cards for probability and not dice, though they could be used possibly. I want to get away from rolling dice and number crunching. This mind you is not for Silicon Children, just as an exercise for a storytelling game.

The attributes are kept somewhat simple and the ranks are in words not numbers.

Brawn
puny
weak
slight
average
athletic
buff
beastly

Brains
dumb as a rock
stupid
thick
normal
smart
brainy
brilliant
cosmic minded genius

Fortitude
twiggy
frail
sickly
plain
tough
hardcore
wrought iron
tough as nails
nigh-indestructible

Wits (social)

clueless
simple
gullible
easy going
clever
slick
pure con man

so these are examples and not meant for play, just to convey. Probably add an attribute or two, Id like to cover physical, social, emotional and intellectual aptitude. Some form of speed vs strength would be good and possibly intellect vs will power

You get a character and you possibly select one or two areas toi focus on and then use the cards or chart to adjust somethings you dont expect. Then you would have like a color or just the words for each area and you flip a card or turn a cutout wheel so many spaces towards a desired outcome or flip so many cards to get the one you want. Cards or the listings on the wheel would have certain words that lead to a resolution. Such as:

Awesome
Terrible
Unexpected
Ducks in a Row (everything lines up perfect)
Speedy Recovery
Slight delay
Long delay
Extra resources spent
Resources saved.
This attribute good/that attribute bad

So basically, you have your characters, they would have skills that might have certain simple ranks:
Untrained
Novice
Intermediate
Journeyman
Advanced
Expert
Master/Mastery

these would perhaps be used to modify, add ranks, or simply be needed to do certain things. You would use a matrix chart to determine what you can do, what card/color/symbol you need to succeed. The idea is to create a less random/more deterministic roleplaying system with some probability involved so its not purely simplified. Some chaos adds flavor and variety.

So Im seeing a deck of cards, a chart and a wheel you turn with cutouts on it. Character sheets would have your basic attributes and a list of skills and items (nothing new there) but would be more descriptive, not just a collection of numbers. You would maybe have color codes? or just the charts to use and the charts and wheel would give pure deterministic outcomes and you would draw/flip so many cards to create probabilities.

Anyway, something I think could be fun, and drawing on something I saw here recently, you could even have a set of cards or flip book to create the setting and scenario, maybe something like the old dark sun books had...

Thoughts and feedback?