A Small Piece of the Sun

Started by BlazmoIntoWowee, April 07, 2012, 03:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlazmoIntoWowee

I've got all the ideas in my head, it's just getting them out onto the page that's the problem.  Laying things out in a logical order turns out not to be a strength of mine.  Editor, please!

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

Back in 2007 I created a series of nine design outlines for my blog.  Unfortunately, they aren't hosted on the Internet anymore, but I'll paste one of the more basic outlines here for you.  Now, these outlines fit my personal style of design, so they might not be right for you.  If it doesn't work for you, don't worry about it.  It just means we're different people.  But I understand how overwhelming the design process can be, so I thought I'd just jump in here and offer what paltry advice I have.  Let me know if you have any questions :)

Outline for Design #3

I. What this game is about.

II. What the characters do.

III. What the players do.

IV. The Situation.

V. The Characters.
A. Chargen
B. Equipment, Skills, Blah Blah Blah

VI. Resolution.
A. Standard Task/Conflict Reso
B. Combat/Wounding System
  a. Healing

VII. Advancement
A. What behaviors are rewarded
B. How are those behaviors rewarded

VIII. The Setting.
A. Setting Advancement

IX. The Set Up.

X. Playing the Game.
A. Setting Stakes (if necessary)
B. Reward Cycles
C. Endgame

XI. Final Advice

XII. Character Sheets.

BlazmoIntoWowee

Thanks, Troy!  Even if I don't hew too closely to that model, it's nice to have something to deviate from, if you know what I mean.

Troy_Costisick

Quote from: BlazmoIntoWowee on April 12, 2012, 06:16:09 PM
Thanks, Troy!  Even if I don't hew too closely to that model, it's nice to have something to deviate from, if you know what I mean.

Yep, I do.  Sometimes all you need is a kickstart and after that, everything flows naturally.

BlazmoIntoWowee

Quote from: Troy_Costisick on April 12, 2012, 06:42:53 PM

Yep, I do.  Sometimes all you need is a kickstart and after that, everything flows naturally.

Dang, did it flow.  Using your layout as a base, I knocked most of the text out tonight.  I still need to finish the character sheets, but then I'll be 100% through (I think...)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Nn_OAO6qmzdElZVDR3aUtzajg/edit

Troy_Costisick

Quote from: BlazmoIntoWowee on April 12, 2012, 10:57:03 PM

Dang, did it flow.  Using your layout as a base, I knocked most of the text out tonight.  I still need to finish the character sheets, but then I'll be 100% through (I think...)

Sweet!  Big congrats! :D

BlazmoIntoWowee

Quote from: BlazmoIntoWowee on April 12, 2012, 10:57:03 PM

Edited to, I think, make this publicly viewable.  Also, Dropbox'd:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41199446/A%20Small%20Piece%20of%20the%20Sun%20%5Bdraft%5D.pdf