News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Still Wrestling with a Sorcerer in Prison Idea

Started by Judd, September 10, 2004, 10:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Roughly inspired by Oz, Shawshank Redemption and Escape from Alcatraz but not entirely faithful to any one of them.

Humanity is hope of ever making it back outside to a normal life again.

Demons are people on the outside who still have a bad influence on those inside.  They can manifest as visitors, packages sent in the mail, letters, e-mails, birds flying into your open cell window or a visiting attorney.

Sorcery is interaction with the outside world, generally in very controlled circumstances.  A sorcerer is someone who still gains some kind of anger and power from the outside world.  Sorcery is gaining an edge during visit day, from mail, e-mail or lawyer's visits.

A con can leave a meeting with his lawyer feeling bullet-proof, believing that he is going to be able to finally beat the rap.  A spouse can bring a con support and relief while allowing them to see you like this just wears ya down.  Letters to a serial killer can grant him the powers his followers believes he has.

You have two covers, you convict cover and your cover from the outside world.

0 Humanity means you lose all hope of ever getting out.  You forget what it is to be a free human and only know the reality that is kept within these bars and concrete.

The player can choose to have his character go out in a blaze of glory, disappear into the prison system or return with half of his outside world cover added to his convict cover.  When the PC has no more outside world cover to give (less than one when halved) they are out of play.

I'm thinking of a mechanic wherein if you gain 10 Humanity you have come up with an escape plan but its still formulating in my skull.

Judd

Quote from: PakaYou have two covers, you convict cover and your cover from the outside world.

...or return with half of his outside world cover added to his convict cover.  When the PC has no more outside world cover to give (less than one when halved) they are out of play.

I've re-thought this in the past five minutes and think that Cover will be about the outside world and Stamina and Lore descriptors will be more criminal oriented.

hix

What role would wardens and screws play? They're inside the prison - but free, so do they count as demons?
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

DannyK

It seems like a great concept: it would work better if all the characters are either first-time cons with short sentences or guys who are up for parole.  If you're serving 10 consecutive life terms, there's not much point in saving Humanity points, is there?  I'd say, if you reach Humanity zero, you've become an institutionalized man and you'll never be able to make it outside the walls.  

I'd consider adding some type of Confessional, like in the game InSpectres.  Perhaps flashing to a parole hearing or to a meeting with the prison counselor every so often.  

I'd also consider making some guards demon-like, maybe Immanents, since a prisoner can't really Banish them.  The Man With No Eyes in Cool Hand Luke is certainly demonic.  

If you're looking for book recommendations:
-Newjack is a great nonfiction book by a prison guard, full of depressing insights into the prison system.
-Stone City is a murder mystery set in a big prison; it's got tortured inmates (psychologically and physically), crazy inmates and guards, more potential demons than you can shake a stick at.

Judd

Quote from: hixWhat role would wardens and screws play? They're inside the prison - but free, so do they count as demons?

If I were to run it I might fiddle with the Angel rules for Wardens and Screws.

DannyK, your ideas are all gold.  The idea of flashing to a prison counselor as a kind of confessional is fantastic.

No idea when I'll have a chance to run this but we'll see.  Could be in the next few months.