News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Player pitching the GM some nar?

Started by Callan S., October 06, 2004, 02:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callan S.

This is a Rifts PBEM game but I don't believe the Rifts mechanics contributed to this.

http://rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=1961&gn=Rifts:+Australian+Lightening&threadnum=11&date=1096994760
(Look for "You must also decide the fate of your captor." down the bottom)

The players have just rescued the kidnapped daughter of a warlord. They found her a bit more rough and tumble than expected.

The guys guarding her were sub demons and one is still alive. And now, as noted above, one player is saying to her "You must also decide the fate of your captor."

And from what I'd imagined of her, this is a problematic choice. She's the ass kicking daughter of a warlord...but I don't know what she'd do. I feel like I've been hit with a narrativist like question myself and that's a really odd feeling as GM.

I mostly write this to ask the question: I wonder if you could take this sort of situation and build it into some system? Would it be sim play for the players, but nar for the GM?

Awhile ago I was talking about GM rewards...this is a potential one I never thought of. If somehow this sort of challenge could be arranged by players occasionally, it's intriguing.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

I don't really see any Sim at all. Since Big Model stuff doesn't make any distinction between GM and players except in terms of techniques, it seems to me as if the *group* is dipping into Narrativist stuff at this time, with no particular need to consider the directionality.

I really wish people wouldn't keep equating "in character" with Simulationism.

Best,
Ron

Callan S.

Hi Ron,

Yeah, I'm aware the GM distinction really isn't a distinction...it's really just one dude who the others grant this or that to. But I find it unusual, since traditional play tends to really seperate GM and players in terms of rewards (eg, in gamist play the GM not having a PC to build up, while the players do have this reward mechanism).

I actually meant simulationism in that he is exploring her (by finding out her choice). In character doesn't really matter, even though its the current means. But I'm not too bright on simulationism...sim players must explore NPC's just like they explore the world, etc, yeah? So what is a gamer doing if he proposes to me (fellow gamer) a problematic question? He's not addressing premise, I am (aren't I?). So what is he doing when he proposes it to me? He's delivering nar to me, but what's his enjoyment from it? I can't imagine gamist enjoyment, and I can't see him addressing premise himself. Is it the mutual nar enjoyment of seeing someone else in the group address it?
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Ron Edwards

Hi Callan,

Nah, "addressing" includes proposing as well as responding. So the person who Bangs (which is what you're describing) is addressing Premise just as much as the person playing the Bang'd character.

Best,
Ron