News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon] RPG Design Workshop

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, May 18, 2005, 01:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

From the event schedule:

WKS00018: Roleplaying Game Design Workshop (Friday)
Join some of the hobby's best and brightest independent designers in this all-day workshop. Learn the theory behind roleplaying games, the basics of RPG design and setting creation and how to avoid the pitfalls of both print and electronic publication. Whether you're an aspiring game designer or just a fan of the hobby eager to know more, this is the workshop for you. So bring your ideas, your notebooks, your enthusiasm and your brain!

This event has four sessions and is an all day event with a break for lunch. For more information on each session please check out the Industry Insider section of your program book.

Hosted by: D. Vincent Baker, Luke Crane, Jared A. Sorensen, John Wick and Clinton R. Nixon
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Luke

Since this is not an advertising forum, I think what Jared is saying is... please come to our seminar and offer your support! Help us spread the word and promote good game design. We'd love to see you there -- the more "game literate" participants, the better.

-L

Andrew Cooper

Angelina Jolie dancing naked in the Vendor's Area couldn't keep me away.... um, well... maybe that would but nothing short of that.

daMoose_Neo

Pay a geek with a camcorder $50, grab a glance, then run! ^_^

May have to sneak over myself...hence 5 monkees ^_^ GO MONKEES!
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: abzuSince this is not an advertising forum, I think what Jared is saying is... please come to our seminar and offer your support! Help us spread the word and promote good game design. We'd love to see you there -- the more "game literate" participants, the better.

-L

Uh, yeah. That's what I'm saying. Sure. :)

In all seriousness, it should be pretty cool. Vincent's topic is Roleplaying Theory, so all you nerds can show up and do The Wave everytime he says "Creative Agenda" or whatever. Then I'm talking about Game Design with Luke (it was going to be just me but Luke has a calming effect on me...plus he's Power Man to my Iron Fist).

Wick is speaking on worldbuilding and setting creation, and I'm sure a lot of that is going to involve myth and storytelling. I mean, he did L5R, 7th Sea, OrkWorld and all of his small press games...man's got chops.

Clinton and Luke will tackle production, with Clinton on the electronic side and Luke on the print side. I'm looking forward to that one.

The hope is that it inspires and informs people to start/work on/finish their own RPGs and show that it doesn't take $20,000 or some other "established" third-party to get your game out there.

GameLoft

Uh!  I wish I had all day Friday available.  I would love to see this seminar.  How long is it?  Both for my own personal game designs as well as for The Game Loft's this would be amazing.  Any chance you will be recording it?  Video or Audio?

Also, Jared did I see you are going to be at PortCon this year?  If so I look forward to meeting you.

Ian
Please take a moment and look at my program. Like the Forge and its memebers we are pushing the boundaries of gaming. www.thegameloft.org

Mike Holmes

Do you guys intend to do a short version containing everything in each of the four sessions? Or just talk new stuff in each of the sessions?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jared A. Sorensen

Ian, We're not planning to record it at this time (maybe at a future con if this goes well). Each session runs between 1 and 1.5 hours.

Mike, each session will concern a different aspect of RPG creation. The only facet we're not giving much attention is distribution (although I'm sure Clinton and Luke will touch upon it in their publication seminar).

And yeah, I will be at Portcon again this year.

- J

John Wick

Quote from: GameLoftUh!  I wish I had all day Friday available.  I would love to see this seminar.

So would I. ;)

I'd love to sit in the audience and just listen to everybody, but I've got to make my plane ticket fare on the sales floor. :)
Carpe Deum,
John