News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

NoVA Apartment Con 23 Sep - Location Thread

Started by apeiron, August 30, 2005, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeiron

Nominate locations for our upcoming Apartment Con in this thread.  Let's try to do this quickly so we can get to the fun stuff.

In your post, tell us where you are and how far you can go. Also list any logistic issues you have, like not having a car or having a willingness to pick up someone who doesn't have a car. If you like, include a google maps link to your space age bachelor pad or place you are recommending.

My apartment complex has an area for events.  It's very nice and big enough for all of us.  There are tons of great places to get real and junk food.  There's a kitchen so we can also do a pot luck/cook on site to save money.

My Situation:
i live in Herndon, VA 20170 (at the border with Reston)
i can drive up to an hour away
i can pick up people, but i am a lousy navigator.

Google Map Me
If you live in the NoVA/DC area and would like help developing your games, or to help others do so, send me a PM.  i'm running a monthly gathering that needs developers and testers.

Adam Dray

I'm up near Baltimore, so I'll be driving far no matter what. I'm willing to pick people up at the metro end points if it's reasonably on my way.
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

TonyLB

First, I'm going to say that tradition dictates that the person who organizes (apeiron in this case) gets the "privilege" of hosting.  Given that we're coming from all over, this generally is an actual privilege, because they don't have to drive anywhere.  So, democracy's nice and all, but I'm leaning toward supporting tradition and just nominating apeiron.

I'm in Alexandria, and can drive an hour-ish (so Herndon yes, Baltimore no).  I can carpool with people, and pick them up.  Sydney and Eric know how to get to me, so we could carpool easily if they like that notion.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Vaxalon

If apeiron doesn't want to host, I can host back at my house in Manassas.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

apeiron

Tell us about your pad in Manassas.  Do you have a community room or the like?

i don't mind hosting, but i'd like to keep this open just in case someone has Das Uber Venue for us.  Plus, it is a good place for us to declare if we have logistical issues/opportunities. 

That said, i'd like for some help on the MC duties from someone who has been to one of these.

TMS
If you live in the NoVA/DC area and would like help developing your games, or to help others do so, send me a PM.  i'm running a monthly gathering that needs developers and testers.

Vaxalon

I have a den in the basement (it wasn't available last time, so we used my dining room) that is well-lit, quiet, and roomy enough for eight.  It is big enough to house everyone who has ever come to a DC Forge meetup.

A few years ago I ran an apartment-con with three games running simultaneously at my house.  There were about fifteen people, one game in the dining room, one in the living room, and one in the basement.

The benefit for me of hosting is that my wife's health (she's disabled) can't force me to cancel my participation at the last minute, as happens on a regular basis when I game outside the house.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Doug Woolsey

I am in Springfield/Fairfax and will be dropped off an picked up. I can get to either Herndon or Manassas but probably not Baltimore.

-- Doug
The Battleaxe RPG www.16cbh.net/Battleaxe

Vaxalon

I think this is the time to nail down the time and place.
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

Herndon is better than Manassas for me.  I'll do Herndon, but not Manassas.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Sydney Freedberg

Herndon's easier for me too; Manassas isn't undoable for me, but it is a bit of a hike, though how bad of course depends on traffic (Saturday on Route 66 -- kinda ugly, as I recall).

I'll be driving from -- uh -- somewhere in northwest DC; whether we're staying at our new house or with family depends on the progress of roach fumigation, but I can probably pick folks up from the Red Line metro.

Vaxalon

That sounds like something of a consensus.  Friday night wouldn't be doable for me at home, but I think I can swing it in Herndon.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Shawn De Arment

I live in Chantilly VA, and would be fine with either Herndon or Manassas. I would also be willing to shuttle folks from the Metro to apartment con and back if needed.
Working on: One Night (formally called CUP)

Vaxalon

I managed to make some progress on Guildmaster; I'll definitely be bringing  it to the game.  I will need to know how many people to prepare for, though; each player needs his own deck to play.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Adam Dray

Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

apeiron

Bad news:

The Club Room at my place would cost 150$ for the night, plus we couldn't go in until 5pm when the leasing office closes.  i thought there would be just a deposit, but that's not the case.  So unless we want to split 150$ less than 10 ways, it is not going to be an option.  My apartment is an option if i get a gaming table and you guys each bring a chair. 

Vaxalon's place shouldn't be much further than mine for most of you.  He seems to be better equipped for hosting duties.

i'm sorry to find this out so late, when they told me about it during the orientation, they implied it was free.

i will look into the very slim possibility of hosting at my office.